Tube in ear for hearing loss

polamalu43

I had to have a tube in my ear because the doctor said my hearing was bad. I had this done last Wednesday. I went back today and I have an infection now. Crazy! My ear has been draining like crazy!

BigPapa

Having tubes put in can cause a lot of issues, but the doctor doesn't usually place them unless they are entirely necessary. Hopefully they get the infection cleared up quickly.

olderthandirt

It's not very common for an adult to have to have a tube put in. This is done to remove fluid, not to heal an infection, by the way. If it's draining like crazy, then it sounds like it's doing the job it's supposed to be doing.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
My son has had two tubes so far for his hearing and fluid behind the ears. It helps with ear infections, but he still gets them for a short while after the tubes are first placed. I do not think he has had an ear infection in about six months now.

polamalu43

The tubes were not put in to remove the fluid. They were put in to help with my hearing. The doctor said the tube would help stretch my ear back out - no idea why it was closing to begin with. I am feeling much better now though.

Victor

I'm glad you are feeling better now. Has the drainage stopped? Like the others, I hadn't heard of adults having tubes, but if it helps, that's all that matters.