Vacations without the kids

PeterPater

The other day I mentioned to my wife that it would be great if we could take a short vacation, just the two of us. Despite being interested in the idea she is convinced this isn't feasible until our daughter is older. Although she's only five my daughter is pretty independent and sometimes spends one night away with family members, so I think she'd be fine. :(

Jessie

We are planning a few day trip for our anniversary this summer. I have a toddler and an infant and they are going to nana and papa's and have went for the weekend before. Children are better at it than we are. I am sure they will be fine if you two go away for a few days.

noahsdad

I never thought about a vacation without my children. I love spending as much time with them as possible. The wife and I have had the occasional (like once or twice a year) 'date night' where one of the grand parents have taken them overnight, but not longer than a night.

DriverDan

My wife and I have done this a couple of times thanks to her sister. Nothing to long or extensive, but we did a few days in Vegas a few years ago and a few days in New York. Her sister comes to visit regularly and will stay in our home when we take a trip. I don't even think the kids notice we're gone.

PeterPater

I am going to keep talking to my wife about this. You are right in saying that the kids have a different perspective, after all she's never even cried to come home when she sleeps out for one night. I wonder if my wife is feeling an early 'empty nest' kind of thing?

stewy

If you think about it, it could be a nice holiday for your daughter as well. My daughter stayed with my mum before her sister was born, and loved the change as she was spoiled rotten by all the family while we were away.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
The wife and I have taken two vacations so far alone. Our daughter is very close with my wifes brother and his wife. She will spend a weekend there every other month or so. So she stays there when we go.