warning signs

Andersson

Why is it that some people just avoid the warning signs their bodies gives until its too late to do anything about it? I have a neighbor that runs himself in circles sometimes and it always confuses me. What good are you to anyone being dead on your feet?

Jack

I think that ego and pride are issues for lots of people, especially when it comes to men and their ability to work. For other people, it could be a matter of insecurity that keeps them trying to achieve.

Babar

I think it has to do with how severe the signs are. Sometimes my body does weird stuff and feels bad for a day or two, and it ends up just being a fluke. Why waste time running to the doctor for every little thing?

Andersson

Oh don't I know the body does weird stuff. I think every decade or so that passes my own body changes its routine just to keep me on my toes. I see younger kids today though that never worry, still thinking they will be fine until they are "older" and by that I mean my age.

CHenne

Some people just don't know how to stop. They have to be everything to everyone. I used to be that way, my wife too. We just finally realized that there is more to life than pleasing everyone. I try to listen to my body more - I'm much happier now and less stressed too.

Victor

I think it has to do with how severe the signs are. Sometimes my body does weird stuff and feels bad for a day or two, and it ends up just being a fluke. Why waste time running to the doctor for every little thing?
This is how I feel too. I have hypochondriac tendencies in a way; any weird little thing must be a serious illness, you know. :p However, I've gotten to the point where I don't take myself seriously and put off going to the doctor since 9 times out of 10 it really is nothing.

Andersson

I can not count the number of people younger than me that we have had to say goodbye to, some people just do not understand how very little time we actually have on this earth. We do not get those 9 lives that cats have.

Ifamily

One of my neighbor died of untreated diabetes at 40. I am so sorry for him, but I don't understand because he was obese enough to be aware that he had diabetes.

Enrique

I guess people are too afraid of the doctor or just plain lazy to have themselves checked. I have a number of neighbors, too who recently kicked the bucket and knew too late that they had such and such illness. Deaths like theirs could have been prevented, one way or the other.

Hedonologist

Unfortunately some people have negative experiences with doctors that can put them off attending in the future. Sometimes a doctor will misdiagnose or assume a patient is a hypochondriac and this will damage to doctor patient relationship. Sometimes people just don't want to admit their problems but I feel the former is more common.

joeldgreat

Just like machines our body will eventually comes to a breaking point and wear and tear happens. Just like machines, our body tells something that a part of it is having symptoms of wear and tear. Higher cholesterol level, higher blood pressure, frequent stress, insomnia, etc. are some of the symptoms that our body tells us. We neglect this symptoms, eventually part of our body will breakdown which in return gives just illnesses. The only difference to us is that some of our body parts are irreplaceable and a major breakdown simply means the difference between life and death.

micromachne

Some of us simply believe that our bodies will heal on their own. Sometimes, that's true. But then yeah, there are other times that we're so stubborn about it or afraid that we don't bother with getting help.

Then there is the whole distrust of doctors issue.

flfsurveyor

Most of the time it is pride and the mistaken male view of his masculinity. Doctors are for wimps! I had my first hypertension attack when I was 30 and since then I would be aware of how I feel. I have driven myself to ER's more than a couple of times. True, sometimes, its nothing more than gas pains; but symptoms could mimic a heart attack. Better be sure than sorry.