What about the house?

Andersson

If you had the house before you got married, did you end up putting it in both names or just leave it in one? A friend of mine is buying his house from his mother (family home, been in the family for about 4 generations) and they are in the middle of figuring this all out now.

Ed35

I would put both the names on the house - if you get married that is. I bought our house with my wife - we were not married yet though. We had both names on the house and the mortgage.

Andersson

The friends family is pushing for a prenuptial and no one has any idea how this is going to go. I know some states are picky when it comes to non-married couples sharing a house debt too, I think that is why the friend is about ready to lose his marbles and just hire a lawyer to sort the mess out.

Michael

We didn't have this issue since I was the only one working and she didn't have a job for years. I do believe marriage is just that, and that both people go into it and live as one, but that's my religion showing. She has worked for years and is great at saving. She also inherited money, which is tucked away for all of us. She's in school now, so I'm the breadwinner, but she'll be going back to work. I'd say both names if it's a true marriage.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I owned the house when we got married and I never put her name on it. She does have her name on this one though since we were married when we got it.

Babar

I think the best move depends on if you're prepared to fight for/lose said house in the event of a divorce. While many things in a marriage are expected to be shared, this approach is not always realistic. You should protect yourself first.

Andersson

I also tend to see many people get concerned just sharing a bank account which I can understand. The part I get confused on is when the couple have been together for ten or twenty years before they commit. :rolleyes:

Salazar

If they were just buying any old house together, I would say put her name on it. The issue that makes this different is that his family has owned the place for four generations. I'm not a fan of prenuptial agreements, but if she is okay with it I would go that route just in case.

LeonR

We operate on the premise that what we own we own together. That's what marriage is supposed to be. I gave up a career so my wife could pursue hers. I spent the most time raising children. We invested our time and energies together. We reap the fruit together.