What age cell?

geezer

I know I'm jumping the gun since the kid isn't even born yet but this isn't something I had to deal with when I had my older kids. At what age do you let them have a cell phone to text on. Do you ever worry that it will stunt their spelling?

Paranoid

I don't understand how texting would stunt their spelling. The only people I see who text with poor spelling are those who already had poor spelling. I wouldn't worry about that. I think a phone for calls is good for young children but not a phone for texting. I would save that for older children.

Rod

Geezer, who knows what kind of technology will be around when your child gets to the age when they want a part of it! As things are I agree with Paranoid, you can get cheap phones which only call certain numbers.

geezer

Geezer, who knows what kind of technology will be around when your child gets to the age when they want a part of it! As things are I agree with Paranoid, you can get cheap phones which only call certain numbers.
Haha! Don't remind me that I'll be the grandpa-looking guy at all the school conferences. I didn't even know they made phones without texting. I have a lot to learn.

I think if kids start out too young abbreviating everything then the correct spelling wouldn't stick in their head but who knows? With spell check no one will have to know how to spell soon.

RubberSoul

That's a good question. With all this Web 2.0 stuff and mobile texting, when is a good time to start any of that stuff? My eight year old son or his friends have not expressed any interest in texting, so I am guessing when he starts hitting the teens. Though we are considering getting him a mobile dumb phone (so no games).

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I'm thinking 16 for my children but that may change. And there would be no camera on the phone for sure.

Mohidad

Call me an old school dad but I wouldn't let my children have a cellphone till they reach at least 10. I am sure they will complain about it but I think it is what is best for them.

CHenne

My kids were age 10 when they got phones. We did not put texting on until they were 13. I have to say that they both are good spellers yet they do use a lot of text talk from time to time.

crowl

I am not even sure ours will have any until they are in high school, maybe when they can drive? Then I have to worry about them driving while on the phone and I doubt my nerves will handle it.

Paranoid

I am not even sure ours will have any until they are in high school, maybe when they can drive? Then I have to worry about them driving while on the phone and I doubt my nerves will handle it.
You might have to worry about them driving while talking, but that's probably better than them getting stranded somewhere with no way to get help without walking along the highway or something.

orangesweater

I probably won't give my children cell phones until they are doing things independently like going to school or going to the library or mall. Right now, we cart them all over the place since the traffic in our area is horrendous, so we always know where they are.

geezer

Yes, realizing there are no payphones anywhere certainly makes a difference. After posting this I started looking for payphones and I think I saw one in a week. Scary thought as far as other's security and those less fortunate.