What are the Pros and Cons of being brought up by a Single Dad?

Jatelo2

Are there any obvious advantages or disadvantages of bringing up children as a single dad? If so, do these pros and con have an affect on the child? please share your experience.

micromachne

Well, for the child, there MIGHT be *some* advantages. But for the parents, I doubt there would be any advantage.

For most kids, the dad is the one always saying yes. So they probably get spoiled whereas the mom was the more authority at times when it came to saying no lol. I only say that based on my family and how it might have been if they were apart.

writer811

I was brought up by a single dad and I think it turned out pretty good in the end. Single dads can things with their kids that mom might not approve of (My dad used to take me for rides on the motorcycle and my mom was terrified by it when she found out). But single dads also need to make money to support themselves as well as do most or all of the housework by themselves so they tend to have less time for their kids.

footballtim

It would depend on who the single dad is. You could have a devoted dad like Ted Kramer in the movie, "Kramer vs. Kramer", or you could have a total loser of a dad who is never there.

There has never been a tougher time for single parenting than now. I cannot see very many pros here.

youngone

The pros are that the child can develop a strong bond with their father. The cons are that the child will not have a mother figure in their life. Ideally a child will have a father and mother, i think that's best for development. There are many brilliant single Dads out there, though.

Jatelo2

The pros and cons would be on both the child and the parent. For the child the advantage is that there is someone to call a parent with the major con being the lack of both parents' input in their upbringing. As for the parent, there is the ease of decision making with the major disadvantage being that you can't be there for the kids all the times!