when kids break things

Lorenzo

How do you usually react when your kids break something - expensive chinaware, the TV, their toys, etc.? As for me, my initial reaction would be to yell at them. I know, it's not good and it just makes them feel all the more guilty than is necessary. My wife advised me to just bite my tongue whenever something like this happens. I guess it's always easier than done.

Don

It depends on what they were doing when it happened. One time my daughter threw her hairbrush at my son and it broke a little bowl on the coffee table. She got in trouble for doing both.

R. Paradon

I guess it all depends on the situation. For sure yelling is not great but I don't think there are many parents who have not done it at least once! My kids were pretty good and took care of things but on occasion even I will break something and I don't yell at me! Well...sometimes.

ghanashyam

I am a seasoned father and I can take the absorbs the shock of breaking things by children as the cost of owning the children.
My elder son has broken number of mobiles and 3 times his motorcycle.
My younger son has a long list of his misadventures the latest being breaking our car and his right hand.
My elder son has become wiser and I am waiting for my younger son to become wiser.

youngone

I try not to yell at my son, he is only 6-years-old and he will make mistakes. It's hard not to lose your temper when it's expensive stuff, though. Once I calm down I'll give him a little lecture about being more careful, bless him.

Victor

I have been really lucky so far and she's mostly broken her own toys. It's made it much easier to keep my temper in this regard. If she ever broke something really expensive (and I'm sure that day will come) it would be much harder.

BigPapa

It really does depend on the situation. If she was throwing a tantrum or horsing around doing something she shouldn't, then yes she will be punished appropriately. If however, it was an accident then I would not yell because that happens to everyone.

Andersson

We were always thankful that the only things ever broke ended up being a toy or the occasional glass. I know my sister was not the same way with her kids, she would break out the tears anytime something broken which usually meant that the kids would feel worse about the accident.

Jatelo2

Whenever a breakage happens due to carelessness, I don't just yell but take disciplinary actions so as to give a warning that such actions weren't welcome in my house!

daddyjay

I think it is best to stay calm. I know this is not always easy if your child has broken something of great value whether in terms of money or memories. But in reality, if the child did not break it on purpose or doing something they were told not to, I think it is best not to worry much.

tommymac

Intent has a lot to do with my reaction. Sometimes, accidents just happen. And, in the end, they're just things that can be replaced.

Don

I think it is best to stay calm. I know this is not always easy if your child has broken something of great value whether in terms of money or memories. But in reality, if the child did not break it on purpose or doing something they were told not to, I think it is best not to worry much.
This reminded me of what our neighbor's son did a couple of years ago. He had gotten in trouble for something and she told him to go play upstairs. He got mad at the mother and went into his parent's bedroom. He opened the door to the patio and dropped her collection of Humel figures off the balcony one-by-one. We could hear her screaming from our house.

Lorenzo

This reminded me of what our neighbor's son did a couple of years ago. He had gotten in trouble for something and she told him to go play upstairs. He got mad at the mother and went into his parent's bedroom. He opened the door to the patio and dropped her collection of Humel figures off the balcony one-by-one. We could hear her screaming from our house.
Hahaha, that was extreme! I can just imagine the mother's fury over what her son did. But we can't blame kids for reacting senselessly when they're emotional. It happens to everyone, even to us, adults.

tommymac

What's a Humel figure?

Anyway, when I was a child and I was mad at my parents, I'd sneak into their room and rip a tiny tear into their prized curtains.

footballtim

Anger is one thing, but it is beyond anger when a child becomes vindictive as was this case. If that was my child, I would not lash out at him as that will cause him to be even more angry and vindictive.

I would sit him down and talk to him. I would communicate to him about why I sent him to his room in the first place. Believe me, it is worth a try, and if it works, it is much more effective than a spanking. Besides, you would be amazed at how much you can find out about your child just by talking to them.

Bearsfan

Most of the valuable breakables are tucked away safe and sound. But I agree with the others who have said, it all depends on how the item get's broken.

CuriousJ

Let them break things I say.

A part of being a kid is exploring and experimenting. Some kids do this by breaking things, others do it in other ways. No matter how they do it though, I feel it is a part of their childhood and the freedom that comes with it.

mollew3

My son breaks things all the time and I put him in timeout if it's intentional. Since he's young its hard to get him to understand how much things cost and the value of things that he breaks. If he intentionally breaks something I usually dont replace the item unless its important.