When to quit

Salazar

I am having some issues with my company right now and it's reaching a point where I really need to leave. Without going into all the gory details, I have tried talking to them about the problems, but they are being inflexible hard asses and I am at a breaking point. We all know what the job market is like right now - it could take a really long time before I find something else. The rational side of me knows that I have to stick it out until I get another job. But there is part of me that says I need to stand up for myself and not be a doormat anymore. Have you ever left a job based on principle without having another job to go to?

KSmith

I'm not sure what you mean when you call yourself a "doormat." You said you've tried to talk to them about the problems, but they are being inflexible. Whatever the issues are, I'm not sure I would recommend quitting that job without having another. I've left a job without having another, but that was in much better economic times.

stayathomepaul

I am sorry to hear you are having a hard time at your company. If things have no hope of getting better then it is time to find another job. I would not quit a job on principal unless I had another job to go to.

BensDad

I would put up with it until I found another job. You said it yourself, the job market is tight. The last thing you want is the stress of not having that paycheck. Just put extra effort into the job hunt.

Cruise

I understand how you feel. I have ever left a job without having another to go to, but I didn't have family to be responsible for at that time. I will just second the others about sticking with the job till you find a new job.