When To Step In?

greatdad

I've seen parents let their kids do some things in public that I wouldn't let mine do in private. One of the most annoying was when a mother was in line at a buffet and her young (4-5 year old) son had gone on to the dining room. He walked back and forth on a booth seat, but when he climbed on top of the table and stood up, I'd had enough. I told him to get down and about that time, here came mom. She gave me a dirty look, but didn't say anything. It's a good thing, too, or I would have been very vocal about her child rearing skills. Does anyone have any of their own stories to tell?

Richie

I can understand your reaction in this situation. (It sounds like Mom was caught out by leaving him unsupervised, which is probably why she didn't say anything in return.) I do tend to get involved if kids are not playing fair at the park, like pushing smaller ones aside to get on the slide and so on.

danno

It can be very difficult but in both those situations described, I'd also want to intervene. I am proud to say that my son has never let me down in this respect.

Jessie

Wow danno you must be one of the luckiest people I have ever met. All of my children and nieces and nephews have done something in public. I also tend to say something if it is out of hand like getting on a table or pushing smaller kids. And on the other side I have had one of mine talked to (for pushing) by another parent and I thanked them as I did not see it happen. My kids are great kids just sometimes they get something in thier head and are going to do it. This does not mean I am a bad parent or they are bad kids, just lack in judgment as we all have had at some point in life.

Daddy-O

I think even the most well behaved kids will mess up from time to time. My daughter has always been well behaved but sometimes she does try to show off. A stern talking to usually solves the problem.

MickL

I've seen parents let their kids do some things in public that I wouldn't let mine do in private. One of the most annoying was when a mother was in line at a buffet and her young (4-5 year old) son had gone on to the dining room. He walked back and forth on a booth seat, but when he climbed on top of the table and stood up, I'd had enough. I told him to get down and about that time, here came mom. She gave me a dirty look, but didn't say anything. It's a good thing, too, or I would have been very vocal about her child rearing skills. Does anyone have any of their own stories to tell?
It's a tough situation, but I think you have chosen the right time to step in. If I were in the situation though, I think I would talk to the mother first before directly talking to the kid.