Where are the parents?

BigPapa

I swear I am getting so tired of seeing kids that have no business being out and about alone being out alone. We live on a fairly busy street and I can't tell you how many times I have seen a 4 or 5 year old riding their bike up and down the sidewalk alone with no parents in sight. The neighbors had their 2 year old out by herself one day and I watched her walk into the backyard. Her mom was in the house and didn't see her walk off. She was yelling and running around frantically looking for her. She could have been in the road for goodness sakes!

olderthandirt

I can't imagine letting a 2-year-old out of the house without an adult or responsible older child watching them. I wouldn't let a 4 or 5-year-old be out of the yard without me, either. I wouldn't let mine even go next door without me watching until they were 7 or so.

polamalu43

In the road or in the car of a stranger! It is a sick world with a lot of sick people. Watch your kids people! What could be so important that you cannot watch your kids?

Zimmer

I'd just like to say, you have to give your kids a little independence, that being said I'm obviously not talking about 2 year old.

Victor

People have different views about when to let their kids go outside on their own. That said, I raised my eyebrow at the 2 year old too. I don't let my 3 year old go outside alone yet. I can see 4 and 5 year olds being ok, though.

Chrisitan

So many kids go missing these days that we never let our kids out of our sight. I can't imagine letting them go somewhere without one of us with them. I can't stand seeing parents who don't seem to care.

Andersson

I guess I have never had an issue telling the neighborhood kids that is it past their bedtime and to hurry off home. I am somewhat like the "Gramps" of our area so I have never ran into issues. Are the kids in your area rude?

BigPapa

Andersson, it isn't that they are out late at night, but that they are out alone. There is no way that a 2 year old should be out alone. We live in a pretty busy and more urban area, so you don't know who could be driving by and swipe your kids or anything. I might think differently about it if we were out in a rural area but we don't.

stewy

Of course 2 is too young. Ours go to the playground on their own but it's a matter of seconds away from the house, and we can see them from our front window. They never would have been allowed out at 2 though! Why would anyone take such a risk?

Andersson

Our area has cut down on this and is thinking about fining parents when it ends up being another kid that is known for being out too late. I think it could be good and bad at the same time. Is this going on in other towns too?