Why won't my 8 month old go to sleep for me?

RoRobb

He will spend all day and all evening with me and will let me put him down for nap but when it comes to bed time its a no go. He absolutely has to have his mommy. Is this a comfort thing for him kind of like their special bonding time? Will this ever change or will it always have to be mommy? Is there anything i can do to persuade him to change his mind?

Victor Leigh

I would have no problem with that. If my eight-month-old wants to sleep with me, fine. If he prefers to sleep with his mommy, no problem.

Victor

Just go with it for now. Sometimes kids develop preferences and it is easiest to go with it. Besides, this gives you some free time to relax.

Jack

It is normal for babies about eight months old to experience separation anxiety. As he developes, he'll outgrow it. Give it a month or two and he'll probably not have issues with going to sleep at night.

RoRobb

I guess I never thought about the fact that it could be separation anxiety. It's just something that has me flustered because his mommy works hard all day and sometimes he can be a night owl. She can't go to bed to get a good nights sleep on those night. If she does he ends up staying up until 4am and its a battle to get him to sleep. I guess it is just something we will have to deal with until this phase passes. Thanks for the input!

Lorenzo

He will spend all day and all evening with me and will let me put him down for nap but when it comes to bed time its a no go. He absolutely has to have his mommy. Is this a comfort thing for him kind of like their special bonding time? Will this ever change or will it always have to be mommy? Is there anything i can do to persuade him to change his mind?
This is normal for eight-month old babies to prefer their mothers over us. Yes, I believe babies at this stage still long for their mother's warmth, smell, hugs, everything that spells out mom. They will outgrow this sooner or later.