Wife wants to stay home

Clive

My wife is due in November and she wants to stay home with the baby for the first year or so. I don't think it's monetarily possible, but I don't know how to tell her she's going to have to go back to work. I would love for her to be able to stay home, but I need to pay off my student loans before that becomes an option.

ChristopherT

My advice would be to work out a different payment schedule for your loans. It will cause too much trouble otherwise, especially if you want her to work mainly to pay off 'your' debts and opposed to the family's debts.

youngdad

I agree with Christopher that you should try to work out a payment schedule for the student loans and get the payments lowered. I think your wife could end up resenting having to work instead of staying home with the baby.

Pascallist

I think it's reasonable that she wants to stay at home with the baby for the first year. But it doesn't mean she wouldn't be able to work, right? There are a lot of online jobs she can do from home.

Len

Is there a way to get a deferment on your student loans? I've been able to do that in the past and if you explain your situation you might have luck.

Bear

Have you looked into the cost of daycare if she does go back to work? If my wife worked for us to have kids in daycare, plus gas, lunches etc. it would cost us money for her to work. Take a close look at your budget, use coupons, shop thrift and consigment stores for your baby clothes and see if you can make it work. Everyone will be happier that first year and it's better for your child if you can make this happen.