Working away from home

SamMo

How do you cope when your job takes you away from your family for months at a time? My daughter is married to a soldier and he is frequently posted away from her and their young children.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
That I really do not know to be honest. I've never dealt with that, but I would imagine it would be hard. The wife would want lots of phone time I am sure. I'm more of the keep busy and keep my mind off it type of person though.

pokerdad

I personally couldn't do it. My brother-in-law worked out of town quite a bit. He'd be home on weekends and it was still a big strain on their family. I think Jason is right though, alot of video chats, pictures, and letters/emails would be a help.

Aiden

I've never experienced anything like this. I don't think I would be able to be away from my family that long. Then again, if it came down to it and that's what I had to do, then I guess that's how it would work but it would not be easy at all. I would miss my family so bad!

danno

My sister is in this position and they use MSN and Skype a great deal when they are apart. I know the kids miss him though. It must be hard on servicemen and similar professions who have to spend time apart.