Working for your friends?

TJoel

Just curious, have you ever worked for any of your friends, or had any professional or business relationships with them? Did it work well for both of you?

Mohidad

I don't remember ever doing this. The rule of thumb here I always believe in is that you should separate your business relationship and friendship. Otherwise you could ended up ruining both.

Sinbian

It is hard to work with friends unless your friends are pure saints, which is not the case. Of course, it can be good working with your friends but usually with time this always ends bad, in some way or the other, at least in my experience.

Keepworking

I have never done this and am not interested in it either. I agree to always keep your business and social life separate. I am curious if Sergei Brin and Larry Page befriended each other before they co-founded Google though.

Last edited:

Pascallist

More than just for a friend, I have ever worked part time for my brother when I still studied in college. You guys are right, it didn't work well for us.

BoyOBoy

Right now I can't think of any time, except for when my brother and I used to trap together. We'd take turns checking the traps. I went in the morning. He went at night. We shared all profits. It worked because he is so easy going. I am not. I don't think I'd get along too long if I had to mind my friends' rules.

chelly

I did this years ago with a start up and someone while originally coming in as an investor only ended up trying to create a role for him when none was needed. This was done behind my back directly to our customer base and caused all sorts of issues when we ended up buying his share out and having him move on without us.