Would You Breastfeed?

writer811

A lot of people don't realize this but men actually have all of the necessary parts needed for breast feeding and under the right conditions, will produce milk of their own. In some cultures, men are tasked with the purpose of breast feeding in place of women. Would you ever do it yourself? I can see myself using a pump to collect it but it'd take some special circumstances to convince me to actually feed the kid directly.

JRDeep

I grew up obese, so I used to have the chest for this. lol I'd do everything in my power to convince the wife this would be a bad idea. Even with a pump, I'd be reluctant to get milked.:eek:

Kyp

I can't say that I would have ever opted to breastfeed. While it is possible for men to breastfeed, it just isn't something I would do. Honestly, I feel that it is something that the mother should do for her baby. That is their special bonding time.

Don

I believe the rules on here prohibit profanity, so I'll just say --- "Oh, heck no!"

My wife breastfed our daughter, but got an infection so the doctor told her to quit. She didn't even try it with our son.

joeldgreat

I would say that I would do it. That is if men really are producing one. When it comes to parenthood, each couple should do whatever they think is right for their children. Many would not do it simply because of the stereotype macho culture that we had in the past. If its for the sake of my children, then I would not hesitate to do it.

newguy

I have to agree with Joel, I would do anything it took for my children, and if it is a bonding time for mother and child wouldn't that make it a great bonding time for father and child? Bonding time is often hard for the father to come by so I believe any opportunity should be grabbed.

writer811

I'm glad to see some open minded people on here. I don't know if I could do it if it wasn't necessary but if mommy doesn't want to, then I guess it's time for me to step up and be a... man? (Sorry! Bad joke) Men's breastmilk has the same antibodies as women's, making it superior to most bottled formulas.

Lorenzo

I don't know. I might or might not try it. My wife breastfed all our kids and I saw how difficult it was for her (she has an inverted nipple). She opted to continue breastfeeding until the babies reached six months, mostly because she knew how beneficial a mother's milk is to the infant. As for me, again, I can't make up my mind about it. I'll play safe and cross the bridge when and if, I get there.

writer811

I don't know. I might or might not try it. My wife breastfed all our kids and I saw how difficult it was for her (she has an inverted nipple). She opted to continue breastfeeding until the babies reached six months, mostly because she knew how beneficial a mother's milk is to the infant. As for me, again, I can't make up my mind about it. I'll play safe and cross the bridge when and if, I get there.
Didn't you or your wife ever consider using a pump to get the milk out without actually hurting her? I mean, if it gets to the point where she has an inverted nipple...if it's that difficult or painful why not use the pump? It's the same milk with the same beneficial properties.

Foster

Short answer to this would be NO! My wife said she was in pain most of the time whilst breastfeeding and there is no way I'm putting myself through that kind of pain.

flfsurveyor

If nature had intended it to be that men could breast feed, then so be it. It is shared responsibility. I would have no qualms doing it for my kids and also to give the wife a break. Why would the man let the woman endure all the pain when he could do something about it? He was already spared the pain and danger of carrying and birthing the baby!

writer811

Just an update; I posted this same question on a forum for pregnant women and mothers. My conclusion is that men are a lot more comfortable breastfeeding their kids than women are letting them. Thought you might find that interesting.

R. Paradon

Of course if it were an emergency I would try it, but not something I would plan on doing. If my wife could not nurse or did not want to then it is off to the supermarket!

Hedonologist

I wouldn't. If there was any reason why my wife theoretically couldn't then We would have to use formula. Just because the father can produce breast milk it doesn't mean it will be the same as a women milk. I'm sure there will be hormonal difference, although I can't say I've researched the subject thoroughly.

writer811

As I understand it, the milk has the same nutrients and antibodies that a woman's breast milk has. The hormone level has to be similar to a woman's to produce it but you're right, there could be a difference. Do you really think that would be harmful to the baby, though?

Victor

Didn't you or your wife ever consider using a pump to get the milk out without actually hurting her? I mean, if it gets to the point where she has an inverted nipple...if it's that difficult or painful why not use the pump? It's the same milk with the same beneficial properties.
Pumping is a major pain, though. My friend's wife exclusively pumped and it seemed like she was always doing it and not getting a huge yield for her efforts. She said babies stimulate flow better than pumps, so many pumping moms have supply issues.

As for me, I have a hard time imagining myself breastfeeding. It'd have to be a special circumstance for sure!

Niceness8000

I've been conditioned to think one way about breast feeding. It's not going to change - I guarantee you of that. When my son was born, the idea never even crossed my mind for me to breast feed him. I have never heard that men could do this. I have never seen any signs in my own body that I can produce milk. I think that if this were the case, I would have seen or felt something unusual in my chemistry. At this point it's irrelevant anyway because I couldn't wrap my mind around the idea.

Hank

I don't think I could mentally even if I could biologically. It just doesn't jive with my head to feed a baby even if I could. I also understand they can stimulate lactation in an adoptive mother but a lot of them don't opt for that either.