Would you let your kids go?

Lorenzo

My fifteen year old daughter's school has a student exchange program in partnership with the South Korean government. Most of her closest friends are going and thus, she wants to go along, too. I know there would be two teachers there to supervise them (ten students in all), but I'm not sure if my daughter is responsible enough to be on her own (even if it's only for a week). My wife said, it would be a great learning experience for her. But, I'm still undecided.

Timothy

I wouldn't let my son go. I feel like 15 is still too young for an international trip without parental supervision. Now, if either my wife or myself were in a position to chaperon the trip, we would consider it.

Zimmer

Yes. You have to start trusting her as a young adult sooner or latter. If you baby her too much, you'll end up regretting it later on.

Justadad

It's a difficult call, but only you know how mature and responsible your daughter is. You will have to trust her soon. Here in the UK kids can get married at 16, though they do need parental consent, and going on a supervised school trip isn't quite as drastic. It would be an adventure, that's for sure.

Lorenzo

Thanks everyone! I know I have to trust my daughter to decide for herself soon enough. It's part of growing up and no matter how hard it is for a dad like me to let go, it's what needs to be done. Eventually, she will be on her own. I should start accepting that fact now.