Young, Single Father

youngdad

I'm very happy to have found this forum. I'm a 21-year-old father of a 3-year-old son and I need all the advice I can get. We were both 17 when my girlfriend got pregnant and soon after Bobby was born, she decided she wanted to go on with her life. I've been raising him with the help from my parents since. Does anyone have any general tips on how to be a great dad to Bobby?

danno

It sounds as though you are off to a good start. I find, as a single dad, lots of love and lots of attention are good but you also need discipline, which means explaining why things have to be the way they have to be and sticking to it. Not always easy!

Restless

To me, disciplining is the hardest thing because I'm often too soft on them. Nevertheless disciplining is something that goes alongside loving so keep that in mind.

greatdad

That's good advice. I think discipline is the most difficult thing to balance. I hope you and your parents are on the same page on that. Sometimes grandkids can touch a real soft spot with their grandparents and they let them "slide" a bit too much.

Last edited:

jason

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, I think you just caring about being a good father means you will become one. You have taken a right step in stepping up and taking care of the child and caring how he turns out.