13 Things For Expecting Dads

fairbjosh

These are my 13 steps for expecting fathers I have a 2 year old girl and another girl due in October, so pray for me lol. I hope this little guide helps you guys out.

1. Free Time Is No More – In fact, free time is now called bed time. When experts say that parenthood is 24 hours a day they literally mean 24 hours a day!

2. Stay Focused During Delivery Day – Never ever ask a random hospital worker to accompany your water-leaking, laboring wife up the elevator while you take the stairs (unconquered fear of elevators). Yes, sadly, I tried it. But when my wife’s head spun around and she growled, “Get in the elevator” I suddenly overcame my fear and made the ride with her. Then my wife yelled and swore to skin me alive if I did one more stupid thing (were these goofy things the mistakes my mother had been referring to?). Things do calm down if your wife chooses to have an epidural (my wife did…Hallelujah).

3. Baby Care Class – I can’t believe I am a full time SEO for a travel company and I didn’t think to at least Google a video about baby care. Learning a few tricks and practicing a few diaper changes can make a world of difference.

4. Patience – Things from here on out will never go as planned. I once caught poop in my bare hands in a Baby’s R Us parking lot because I didn’t want it to get in the backseat of my car. Luckily, my wife did get that 10% off she was arguing about (first paragraph post).

5. Play Time – This one was easy for me. My son loves to play, and many times he wants me to play with him. But all the time he wants me to watch him. I am told that this odd phenomenon will never go away. “Hey Dad, watch this” and “Hey Dad, watch me.” Who knew??

6. Guys Night Out - They don’t completely go away, but they become very random, much shorter, and start at about 10:00 p.m.

7. Ask Your Pediatrician Questions – They actually like helping, and it’s nice to know the right answers.

8. Learn the Metric System – “Honey, can you give “Champ” 5 ml. of his antibiotic?” This one is not that hard but important.

9. Enjoy Your Last Full Nights Sleep – My son was breastfeed until he was about 10 months old. Like clock work, he woke up every 2 hours. My wife was a trooper. (Just on a side note we are going to supplement with formula the first few days so our next child will get on a better sleeping schedule)

10. Basic First Aid – Things happen. . .not often, but it will add a little assurance if something goes wrong.

11. Fashion Matters – Apparently it matters what your toddler is wearing. I think a diaper and Stride Rite shoes make a pretty good outfit. My wife thinks differently.

12. It Always Costs More – Regardless of how much you plan and budget, you will always spend a few more dollars. For my family this reality applies to buying formula, buying diapers, and even buying clothes.

13. Intimacy – You have to wait 6-8 weeks to be intimate with your wife once your child is born–maybe longer if there are complications. More importantly, you and your bff will never be truly alone again. But, it’s okay. You and she will make the adjustment, and you will never really want to go back to life “before baby.”

Squeesh

Great post, thanks for much for the information. I already have a son but I'm also expecting another. Its always great to read a "refresher" coarse on the subject :)

Enrique

Nice one, fairbjosh! :) I wish I've read something like this when I was starting out as a Dad. Anyhow, it was also great to learn as I went along with the role. One thing I realized though, nothing will ever prepare you for the adventures (and misadventures) of parenthood, you have to actually live it.

fairbjosh

Nice one, fairbjosh! :) I wish I've read something like this when I was starting out as a Dad. Anyhow, it was also great to learn as I went along with the role. One thing I realized though, nothing will ever prepare you for the adventures (and misadventures) of parenthood, you have to actually live it.
Exactly, you can read all the books in the world but nothing will ever prepare you for fatherhood I am just hoping to let fathers know what to expect.

joeldgreat

Hi, your 13 tips really is a must to learn for all upcoming fathers. And may add one more:
14. Expect and always be ready to learn something new. No matter how you think you know everything on how to raise a child, there's always something new that will came along.

chea

Nice thread. Thanks for all the info. I'm expecting now so this is really helpful for me.

joeldgreat

Very nice post and all are true and correct. To sum-up you post I think it all boils down to "sacrifice". Fathers need to sacrifice one's enjoyment for the sake of the family and kids. One have to learn to do this things the moment you had signed the marriage contract. And the benefits, a long lasting fulfillment which you alone can felt.

streakanime

Haha, this is a very nice post. I love the free time bit. I definitely see myself sleeping in my "free time" when the baby gets here. I know that I'm going to have to try to pitch in some more when I'm at home so my wife can get some sleep. Since she is going to be the one staying home and watching him. I don't want her to go stir crazy or anything.

youngone

'I once caught poop in my bare hands in a Baby’s R Us parking lot because I didn’t want it to get in the backseat of my car.' - haha!

A great post, no sugar-coating. My biggest shock was not having ANY free time. People warned me about this before my son was born but I didn't take what they said seriously, I thought I would still have plenty of free time - I was wrong!

Victor

Overall your post was really great! I laughed so much at the poop on the hands scenario; I've been there!

Just an aside on the formula supplementation: it’s her choice, of course, but it can interfere with establishing her milk supply, so be very careful going that route. It's not like a newborn will sleep all night anyway.