$271 per kid

Ed35

I read online today that a survey shows that most parents spent $271 on each child for their Christmas gifts. Wow, I’m way off! We spent much more than that per child. The iPod alone was $195 plus tax. Are parents really spending $271 a child? I wonder where the survey was taken – it did not say. Maybe we are overspending and spoiling the kids!

PatrickK

I guess it depends on the number of kids and their age. Older children are more demanding. It's easier to find lots of cheap toys for little kids. My parents had 8 children so we got one big gift and some smaller gifts. It was nowhere near $271 each!

Bear

We don't spend even a $100 per child for Christmas here. Of course, they are very young, and that may change as they get older. I don't know though...that's a house payment...for each kid!

Milt

People have all kinds of different values when it comes to their children and when it comes to Christmas. I am surprised that the amount is as high as $271.

bighelp

Not only different values but also different incomes. I know every other year we might spend more or less but in the end it does even out between this holiday and their birthday. That is a cheap house payment compared to mine too!!

Kenny

You mean a lot of people are spending $271 per child on Christmas? That just seems ridiculous to me. No wonder kids today are so spoiled and want the newest, best everything right this instant.

polamalu43

Wow, I'm not like the rest then - I spend well over $271 per kid. I do agree that it depends on the age of the child. As kids get older the gifts get more expensive. I don't know anyone who spends $271 or less.

strongenough

I don't think $271 is all that much. That's enough for a big gift and small gifts plus wrapping and stockings I guess. I can see doing that easily.

Anthony

I know my kids are young, but that seems like a lot of money to spend on one child for Christmas. I guess as they get older though they want video games, ipods, and the latest greatest whatever to wear.

Shaun

That sounds like a lot to me too, but I am ure it probably isn't really. Bigger kids will of course want bigger stuff. Bigger = more $$$

SoontoBe

My parents spent that much on me and lots more. I wasn't spoiled. With a new baby coming, I'll probably follow in their footsteps. I agree that little kids don't need much, but it's hard to find good educational toys for less than $50.