A bad holiday

Andersson

Sure we have had our struggles but I don't think we have ever had a bad holiday at the end of the year. I know many people right now are out of work and are strapped for cash. To me it is part money and part mindset, with a good attitude even the strongest (who sometimes get weak) can get through the rough spots. Right? :)

polamalu43

I agree! Then again I've never had a bad holiday either. I have been fortunate enough to have always had a job and a nice savings account. I don't know how I would have been if that hadn't been the case. I can see if you are down on your luck and have been for a while how it would be hard to stay positive.

olderthandirt

We've never made the holiday about how much you get or how much you can spend on everyone else. My girls are happy with whatever they get and love to help make gifts for people, instead of spending a lot of money.

BigPapa

We don't emphasize the gift giving aspects of the holidays either. Obviously we give gifts to each other, but we make it more about the spirit of giving to others than what we get.

Bear

Things have always been tight for us around the holidays and I am sure that this year will be worse because I have been unemployed. We never focus on the gift giving aspect of Christmas anyway, and a lot of my family has decided to forego that altogether this year. My kids will get a few gifts and as long as they are happy I am good with it.

SingleDadNow

We have had some years that were decent, and some that were harder (like when my ex-wife's dad was in the hospital after a car crash). This year is not shaping up to be that great, but I will do my best to put a positive spin on it as much as I can. You can only do your best.

Andersson

I really do not think it is about the money spent or the gifts received. I understand how kids can get side tracked by it but as adults many should know better. Over all of the years I think the only celebration we had that did not go as planned was a reunion and that is only because a fight broke out. I still enjoyed myself though.

DeputyDad

I think this year is going to be a little rougher on the wallet than in past years, but we'll get by somehow. The first thing that is out for us this year is the expense of a real tree. What we spend on that we can use for more important things.

For us, the holidays are mainly about reconnecting with family that we haven't seen much during the year.