Addressing You

William

What do you want your step-kids to address you? There are some step-mothers who wanted their step-children to call her as mom. How about with step-dads?

jason

Administrator
Staff member
Mine just calls me dad or daddy. But she is also all she knows as a father figure. It is a great debate between the wife and me though. I do not wish to with hold the fact that I am not her biological, while the wife wants to keep it a secret for as long as she can.

Caleb

I always called my step-dad dad. It just felt right. If I was a step-dad then I would want the kids to call me whatever they felt comfortable calling me. I would not mind if they did not want to call me dad.

Theran

I think it depends on where the biological father is. If he is in the picture, I would say they shouldn't be calling anyone else dad. If he's gone, then sure, no problem. I don't think any man who sees his kids regularly would ever want to hear them call someone else dad.

Josephmorisson

If I'm a stepfather, I'll surely ask them to call me Dad. It's not good to have a gap in the family. Even if they are just my step kids and I want to give them fair treatment. I'm comfortable to be called Dad than calling my first name.

Sammie

My step kids call me by my first name, but their dad is a consistent factor in their lives so I think that's the way it should be. My ex is remarried and I don't want my son calling that dude "Dad." If my step daughter called me "Dad" and her real father heard her it would surely take an already strained family dynamic and turn it into a battle royale.

Jessie

My soon to be step-son has called me by my first name for the last 2 years, but that has changed recently..We are going to be married next summer and I explained to him that I was going to be his step dad. Now he says Mom and dad sometimes and 'your gonna be my step dad' so we are not sure what he will call me, but we are fine with whatever he chooses. I am sure the ex will not like it, but get over it.