Adult Acne

Timothy

My wife seems to have a bad case of "adult acne." Does anyone know what causes this or how to treat it? We can't really afford to go to the doctor about it right now because we're not insured. Which would be the best over-the-counter medication to treat it?

Sinbian

In my own experience it is all about nutrition habits. But it could be that your wife is experiencing some hormonal disbalances. Anyway, in most cases it's about what you eat.

DeputyDad

That's actually a myth. Food doesn't cause acne breakouts. Medical research completely debunked that.

Have your wife try witch-hazel. You can get it at the drug store. It's an astringent made from a plant and it works really well.

Timothy

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with DeputyDad, Sinbian; my wife eats very well and even if she didn't, I know plenty of people who eat junk all the time who don't have the acne problems she has.

Thanks for the witch hazel suggestion; I'll definitely pass it on.

BestDaddyEver

Some people suffer from adult acne. It could be hormonal or other things. Putting together a good skin care routine can help. Sulfur is an excellent spot treatment. I know that you said that she doesn't want to go to the doctor, but if the problem is hormonol, birth control pills will help.

Timothy

Well, she's actually already on birth control. She wears an IUD, so she really doesn't need the pills. (Plus, she's one of those that can't remember to take pills everyday. God only knows how many kids we have right now if she had stayed on pills after getting pregnant the first time around!!) I'll tell her about the sulfur, though. Thanks.

Victor

Is she on the hormonal IUD or the non-hormonal one? Hormones can really change skin, but whether it's good or bad seems dependent on the woman. My wife deals with some adult acne as well and it's always worse right before her period or when she is pregnant.

polamalu43

Some foods irritate our skin. It doesn't have to be junk food but it can be healthy food. Milk causes acne in some people. I would try using rubbing alcohol.

Sinbian

That's actually a myth. Food doesn't cause acne breakouts. Medical research completely debunked that.

Have your wife try witch-hazel. You can get it at the drug store. It's an astringent made from a plant and it works really well.
Who knew that research was ahead of me. :) I'm sorry for misleading info, it wasn't deliberate. Can you point to some interesting articles about that research?

Timothy

Is she on the hormonal IUD or the non-hormonal one? Hormones can really change skin, but whether it's good or bad seems dependent on the woman. My wife deals with some adult acne as well and it's always worse right before her period or when she is pregnant.
She's on the hormonal one -- the one that you have to replace every five years. Come to think of it, I don't remember her having all these problems before she had it put in. Maybe she's one of those that doesn't react well to those hormones. She did have some bad breakouts during her pregnancy, too...