almost absent father.

dawnaroni

What can I do to encourage more envolvment from my husband. Both with helping and learning what to do with the baby when I am gone and everyday things around the house. My husband comes home on most days and sits in front of the tv and stays there until bed time. Weekends he spends more time in front of the TV; than playing with the baby (1 year old) or doing stuff on his honey do list. Both of us work 40hr weeks when I get home Its all about baby, dinner, cleaning etc... How do I get him off the couch and busy with the family?

Last edited:

Foster

Give him a reality check. Stop doing everything you do, don't cook, clean, ironing. Obviously still do the things with your baby. But when your not playing with your baby sit and watch TV, if he asks whats for dinner tell him it depends what he's cooking. My wife did the same with me and she now says I do more round the house and with the kids.

Andersson

That might be the best way to go. I know that in my house I never knew everything she did until she got really sick one time too many and was laid up for about two weeks on mandated bed rest. I tried my best but even on a good day I was not even hitting a third of what she could whip through in 24hrs.

meowcow

I agree with Foster. Being tired from work is no excuse for neglecting your child. You guys made a commitment when you brought a human being into this world and both of you should live up to your responsibilities equally. By stopping your contribution he will have to wake up and be forced into it, then slowly he will understand the joy of it and eventually he will be completely baffled on how much fun he has been missing. Show him that the real world is a lot more fulfilling than TV and he will thank you for it in the end.

Lorenzo

I was also a potato couch, watching TV until bedtime. My wife used to complain a lot that I don't help much in the house and in raising the kids. She got so depressed about it that she would lock herself in our room and cry for a full hour. When she couldn't take it anymore, she went to stay with a friend overnight and left all five kids with me. THAT woke me up. Now, I do all the cooking and minding the younger children. My wife couldn't be happier.