Am I A Bad Dad For This?

Timothy

I've been talking in another thread about going on a vacation later this year. See, here's the thing... the wife and I haven't been on vacation since before our son was born 3+ years ago. By the time the vacation rolls around, he'll be pushing four. So, I was thinking that the wife and I would go on a vacation just for the two of us for a few days, but when I asked a family member about watching him, she reacted as if I were out of my mind. Am I a bad dad for wanting to go on a vacation without my son?

On The Mark

No, you're not a bad dad. But you might want to consider taking 2 "mini" vacations instead of one regular one. A short getaway with you and the wife, and then another for you and your baby.

Victor

You are definitely not a bad dad for wanting time away and a few days really is a mini-vacation. Was your family member's reaction due to you wanting to leave or the idea of babysitting for that length of time?

olderthandirt

Of course you're not a bad father for wanting a break with just your wife. Try talking to a different person about watching your son as the one you talked to has some weird ideas, in my opinion.

Timothy

Victor - I couldn't really tell why she reacted so badly; I don't know if it had more to do with the fact that we wanted to go on vacation or the fact that we were politely asking her to babysit for us. In the end, we decided to pay someone to house sit, dog sit, and babysit for us at the same time. While we're on vacation, they'll spend the night at the house, watching the property, the dogs, and of course our son.