Another's son

chelly

Would you treat the child like your own? What are the common fears? Right now we are in this position and I worry just a tad. Is there something I should do more as the wife to help?

PeterPater

I'm not sure I understand your situation exactly. Does your husband have a son who is coming to live with you? I don't think it is possible to treat him like your own because he isn't. Do you have other children living with you as well?

Roger

Actually, I was in a relationship with a woman who had an 8 year-old boy and, although things between her and myself didn't last for more than a year, I tried to treat the child like he was my own. We remained good friends, and sometimes I see him with his mom in the park and have a short chat.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
My biggest fear with my daughter is she will get upset with me with the fact I'm not her biological. Maybe she will be upset with me or the wife over it.

FatherYoung

I've asked myself this question several times. I dated a woman who had a two-year-old daughter and we talked about whether we should tell the girl about my being her step-dad. Unfortunately, the relationship didn't go that well, and we didn't end up together... :( I think I actually could treat someone else's child as my own.

Regis

I'm in the same position now. It just takes time and you have to not take it personally when they yell 'you're not my real father'. I figure their real father would hear them yelling 'I hate you' or some other nonsense anyway.