Are You A Good Sport

Bobby

I just hate when I'm watching my kids play a sport like soccer or hockey and hear some loudmouth yelling at his kids. Now there are times when I get steamed about something I hear, but I have never allowed myself to get in an argument with another parent in the stands or on the sidelines. It's not something I would want my kids to see, so I don't. How do you respond in this kind of situation?

polamalu43

Well I try to be a good parent and keep my mouth quiet but sometimes I can't help it. I never yell at the kids but I have been known to talk not so quietly about other parents who are being rude. I hate the parents that yell at their kids, yell at coaches or yell at other people.

Sinbian

I try to understand both the kids and parents because sports can raise pressure and some things that can be said are not coming from the heart.

Timothy

If the situation is a parent yelling at his/her child, I stay out of it. The way I see it, I don't want other people telling me how to raise my child, so I don't try to tell anyone how to raise theirs. If the situation is someone yelling at my child, however, it's a completely different story, but that's never been an issue.

Clay

I agree with Timothy, if someone is yelling at their kid I might not like it, but it is none of my business. I just hate to see a parent pressuring their kid so much, that the game is no longer fun.

Kina

My ex-wife does it to my kids. She is not to obnoxious, and she does not yell negative things when they make a mistake. But she will call out the ref in a heartbeat when they make a bad call. I have also seen her yell at the other coaches from the opposite team.

She will end up in jail or in a fight before long.

Last edited:

Victor Leigh

Agreed. There's nothing worse than seeing a parent behave worse than his kid at a sports event. I think the kid must be totally embarrassed by his parent's behavior.

Lorenzo

I just hate when I'm watching my kids play a sport like soccer or hockey and hear some loudmouth yelling at his kids. Now there are times when I get steamed about something I hear, but I have never allowed myself to get in an argument with another parent in the stands or on the sidelines. It's not something I would want my kids to see, so I don't. How do you respond in this kind of situation?
I've been in this situation one time too many and what I usually do is hold my tongue. If I had it my way, I would have yelled at that loudmouth and gave him a piece of my mind. But as what everyone said, it's really none of my business for me to intervene. And, the loudmouth's kid had been embarrassed enough, I wouldn't think of adding to it.

Godric

Yelling can also be a form of cheering for the parent especially if that parent really likes that sport. Don't get me wrong, I am one of the quiet types but I do understand where those loud parents are coming from. For me, so long as the loud parent is not saying anything about my kid, we're ok.

Andersson

I will not fib but for the first few years I had a serious issue with it. I mean we would practice over and over again, then I would see a call given by a ref and just flip out thinking he is an idiot. Finally I gave in and let them play just the same, in the end we all had a better time and enjoyed it.

Bear

Believe it or not I know a few parents that brag about the number of times that they have been thrown out of a game their child was playing in. I feel so bad for the kids because that has to be completely embarrasing for them.

Victor Leigh

Just curious. What would you do if one of those yelling parents were to yell something unsavory aimed at your kid? Shut his mouth with a knuckle sandwich?

CHenne

I talk to my kids but I don't yell at them or any other player. I have yelled at an ump/ref a couple of times. I can say I was not the only parent doing this and I felt terrible after.