Bad decisions

BigPapa

When one of your friends is making a horrible decision and you know how bad it will be for them, what do you do? Do you support them and their decision or do you try to show them the error of their ways?

tommymac

The best you can do is advise them against the decision and give your reasoning behind it.

Let me put it to you this way: If your friend told everyone that the sky is red and the Sun is green, would you agree with him just because he's your friend?

Victor

I agree that it's best to give them your opinion as gently as you can. They may not appreciate it much, but hopefully in hindsight they will be grateful for your honesty.

Jatelo2

As a good friend, I'm smart enough to know when I must intervene and when not! I can't make decisions for my I'm sure a can influence them. I would therefore tell them my opinion on that wrong decision and try persuading them out of it!

Don

It took me years to learn this, but unless you are asked for your opinion it is usually best to keep it to yourself. It really doesn't do any good to offer unsolicited advice because the person isn't going to take it anyway.

FrankSinatra

I advise but never interfere. It is their life and their choice to make so I can only do so much. I have my own life, family, and job to deal with so I can't stick my neck out for someone who doesn't want to listen.

I wish them the best and give them my advice...it is up to them if they do the right thing.

R. Paradon

It took me years to learn this, but unless you are asked for your opinion it is usually best to keep it to yourself. It really doesn't do any good to offer unsolicited advice because the person isn't going to take it anyway.
To maintain a friendship that is about the only way to handle questionable advice. If you do offer your advice and it is wrong....OUCH!

Andersson

I only tell them once. Years ago I had to learn the hard way that sometimes people just do not listen no matter who tells them what. If you only tell them once (and in a nice way) more than likely it will stick and if it does not you do not end up walking away blaming yourself for not trying.

BigPapa

I agree with all of you. I give them my advice and tell them why I think it is a bad decision one time. If they don't take my advice then I can't be held responsible. I also offer my advice with a healthy dose of support. Usually it goes something like this "I don't think it is a good decision but I support you whatever you do."

joeldgreat

I would advice my friend to weigh the pro and cons of her/his decision. And I will try my best to convince him/her that the decision she/he will make is the wrong one. But, I think that's the only thing I can do. In the end, its still him or her that will make the decision. And one thing for sure, I would explain thoroughly that no matter what will be the outcome of that decision, he/she should be responsible enough to deal with the consequences.

Christian

This is my take on it. Don't give unsolicited advice, and if you are asked what you would do you should be respectful of whatever decision they make, and support them regardless of the outcome. We all have to choose our own paths and go our own way. Just because you think that something is a horrible idea doesn't mean that it will work out that way for them.

stephen

I know my wife offers opinions on everything and it's gotten to the point where everyone ignores her. I just keep my mouth shut and allow people to live their own lives. I certainly don't want anyone butting into mine.

Bear

I would just keep my mouth shut unless I was specifically asked for my opinion. No one really wants unsolicited advice about how they are living their life or the choices they are making.

Lorenzo

When one of your friends is making a horrible decision and you know how bad it will be for them, what do you do? Do you support them and their decision or do you try to show them the error of their ways?
I'll talk to my friend first about his situation and what made him come up with that particular decision. Who knows, his solution to the issue might look bad to me or to everyone else, but to my friend, it's the best way to go.

Bearsfan

If you really think your friend can come to harm from a decision, then you have to say something. Even, if you think they might get upset with you. It's important that you start with telling them you are just trying to look out for them. But, in the end you are there to support them.