Bedtime stories

Lorenzo

Do you read to your kids at bedtime? How old were they when you started reading stories to them? When did you stop?

I used to read to my kids every night, but it seems they've outgrown the stories (and me, as well) since they don't beg for it anymore like they used to when they were still four or five.

BigPapa

I do read to my daughter every night and I have since her birth. I will read to her every night as long as she wants me to because it is a great time for us to bond. I am hoping I get another few years before she decides she is too cool to need her daddy.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
We started about age two years or so with our daughter. I may start reading to my son who is a year and a half though.

Bearsfan

We started reading bedtime stories when our kids were babies. It's part of our night-time routine. Most of the time it gets the kids to wind down a bit before we turn out the lights.

Victor

We've read bedtime stories to our oldest since she was about 3 months old, but our youngest often gets cranky and wants to nurse to sleep before we expect it, so she doesn't get read to as frequently.

stephen

We started with Dr. Seuss books and Goodnight Moon at around age 2. Mine are all over 8 so they really don't want the stories anymore--they want 'quality' videogame time before bed.

Don

We did the Dr. Seuss books around the age of two. My daughter never really wanted stories read to her after the age of 4. My son and wife are real into Harry Potter, so she would read some of it aloud to him even though he reads other books by himself.

GC856723

Not long after my son was born, my ex and I started reading to him. Our friends would give us funny looks and try and explain that he couldn't understand anything and inquire as to what the point of it was. Really, the point was to spend time with him while we put him to sleep. And, besides, you're never to young to have mommy or daddy read you a good book. We both love to read, so I think we were hoping to instill that kind of love in him as early as possible. I actually have a video of him on my phone, or possibly my computer since I've moved things around, of my son "reading" a Winnie the Poo book. It's rather adorable.

So yeah, reading is important. The earlier, the better, I say.

ghanashyam

Yes, I was reading such stories to my children when they were very young. The children have a fanciful mind and they go to sleep quickly listening the stories. The days are gone now, my younger son who is pursuing the CIVIL ENGINEERING will bring the stories of his college and teach me how to build the bridges and the different types of cements.

Andersson

We always read to our kids and then they would read back to us. Sometimes we would just make up stories as we went, I still remember one from my daughter about a crazy water breathing dragon. Not a fire one you read that right, for some reason she was all about the water (and loves swimming to this day).

R. Paradon

I have read to my children when they were young but more often than not we would make up stories until they got sleepy and fell asleep. Just stupid stuff full of laughter, fantasy, etc. It is fun and I miss it even today!

Jatelo2

There are time when my dad would read us such stories but slowly he got tired and stopped. Therefore I don't tell such stories since I wouldn't want my the kids to experience what we experienced when our dad stopped the stories!

Niceness8000

We started when my son was really young. He was only a few months old. He had absolutely NO interest in it. Then seemingly overnight he went from hating it to loving it. Not only does he want to read at night, he wants to read in the morning when he wakes up.

R. Paradon

There are time when my dad would read us such stories but slowly he got tired and stopped. Therefore I don't tell such stories since I wouldn't want my the kids to experience what we experienced when our dad stopped the stories!
Why don't you read to them? It would be very enjoyable. Just because your father stopped does not mean that you have to! Kids love stories and you will love reading to them!

Lorenzo

My dad left when we kids were really young, but I remember him reading to us each night. It was something I will forever cherish. He gave me and my siblings the gift of reading, which I have passed on to my kids, and hopefully, they in turn will pass on to their own children.

You should try reading to your kids, you'll be surprised how much you are going to enjoy it.

youngone

I've been reading bedtime stories to my son since he was 2. We started with the well-known Disney books and we have now progressed to the Roald Dahl classics. We are currently reading 'James and the Giant Peach'. I enjoy reading to my son, I grew up reading Roald Dahl books.

mollew3

I read to my son all the time. He's become addicted to my storytelling because now he cant go to sleep without one. I notice that he likes adventurous stories so thats what I do at work when I have free time. I come up with his bedtime stories. My daughter grew out of at the age of twelve so enjoy the quality time when your blessed with it.