Brother going through this

Phillie

You might all think I'm crazy but I am trying to stay out of my brother's divorce. I have stayed out of his relationship (his cheating, domineering, etc.) so I am staying out of the divorce too.

Actually if you ask other people they would say that I am taking my sister-in-laws side (and in my heart I am). When I first heard that she left him for good this time, I said Karma stinks eh?

Is it wrong for me to feel this way? Should I try to stand by my brother?

benben

No Phillie, it's smart to feel that way! If he was in the wrong, and it sounds like she has every reason to want a divorce, then he alone should take responsibility for his actions.

Jdrake

I agree, you are making the right choice. When my sister and brother-in-law got divorced, I stayed out of it because I felt my sister had been mostly at fault.

Clive

I don't think it would do your brother any good for you to stand by him even though you disagree with his actions. Maybe if he has to go through this by himself he will learn a lesson and change his behavior in the future.

Len

I don't think you are in the wrong to side with your sister-in-law. Family isn't always right. Maybe I feel this way partly because I don't have a great family, but I think it's fine to not be on his side.

Ed35

I'm in agreement with everyone else here. You do what you feel is right. She will need people to stand by her (it sounds). I would also call her and tell her that you are there and so is your family.