Buying Step-Son His First Car

PaPaul

Banned
As a father, how would you feel if your son's step-father bought him his first car? I'm considering buying my step-son one next year when he's old enough, but I don't want to step on any toes. I intend to bring it up first, in as non-confrontational way as possible, but I don't know if his father will be offended simply by the idea, let alone the action.

Matt

Honestly, I would feel a bit intimidated, but if that's what you want to do then I don't see anything wrong with it. I mean, you love them, so it makes sense.

PaPaul

Banned
I'm not thinking of anything fancy; not even something new, as I probably couldn't afford it and I don't feel like a teen's first car should be new, anyhow. I'm fairly certain that his father wouldn't be able to afford anything like that either - but maybe I should approach him about sharing the cost of a used car?

forgotten

I think a discussion with his father is in order. But make sure that you don't come across in an offensive manner. It would be great if he can share the cost.

PaPaul

Banned
I've been talking to my wife about it and we're working out how to best approach the situation. She thinks it will go better if she serves as a sort of mediator, since it is her son as well as his, after all. I'll let you guys know how it goes. :)