Child Passenger Safety

jimscharger

My brother is a cop who just became certified in Child Passenger Safety. I had no idea, but you can call your local Police Department and ask them if they have any Child Seat Technicians on staff. If they do, you can make an appointment to stop in and they will inspect your car seats to make sure they are properly installed. If not, they can refer you to a local hospital or other PD that might do them. I thought I'd pass this along to all the new Dads on here.

Kenny

Yep, the police and fire stations around here will do it. You can also go to the state patrol, and some babies r'us stores will install them one weekend a month. Have you ever tried to read those instruction manuals???

jason

Administrator
Staff member
The fire stations do it here. My mother and my wife both have gone to have them installed there. As to my knowledge, the police stations here do not. But I'll have to ask. We always knew the fire stations did it so that is where we went.

Salazar

Our local police department has one or two scheduled days a month when you can go for this. I think it's a really great public service and something that every parent should take advantage of. I read somewhere that something like 75% of consumer installed car seats are installed improperly. That's really scary.

Fatherof2

I knew the police departments and fire departments would do it, but I didn't know about babies r us. That is pretty cool that they will do that.

bighelp

If I am not mistaken you should be able to do this for your local Fire station too. It might be for random areas/cities but I know in ours you can and they even tell you this when you leave the hospital with your newborn.

OrionH

Yeah, here the police inspect care seats. What is nice is that all of the fire stations do it too. If you go to the fire station they are usually happy to take you and your child on a tour, which can be fun.