Condoms - Good enough?

Timothy

Got a tough one here, guys. My wife has been wearing an IUD for several years now but it's about to expire and she'll have to have it removed soon. She's had a fair amount of problems with hormonal birth control over the years and says that after this IUD is removed, she doesn't want to take or be on any more hormonal birth control. With all the problems I've watched her go through, I can't say I blame her. Still, we can't do nothing at all, but we're not ready for something permanent either. Do you guys think condoms are "good enough" or are there some other options out there I'm not familiar with?

BigPapa

There are non-hormonal IUD's out there. Condoms can be pretty effective if they are used properly, but we all know how that works. I probably would not want to rely only on condoms myself.

olderthandirt

There are other non-hormonal options out there for women. Your wife should discuss all the options with her doctor because the doctor would know best of any possible issues.

Timothy

I didn't even know that there were non-hormonal IUD's and such out there. I don't know if she's familiar with them, either, but I'll tell her to ask the doctor about it when she has this current one removed. Thanks for the input, guys.

Victor

Paragard is the non-hormonal IUD. My wife is not comfortable with IUDs and can't take hormonal birth control during breastfeeding so we've been using condoms in between pregnancies without any accidental conceptions. She's also learned how to chart her cycle so we know when fertile times are.

After this pregnancy, however, she is getting a tubal and then we don't have to worry at all, which will be nice.

Andersson

This does not really fall into my ballpark anymore but from what I have read and heard by the ladies it seems many women can not handle an IUD. I think they have a long way to go before they can make one that the masses can handle, when you play with hormones you are sometimes asking for trouble.

Timothy

I think we may just end up taking our chances with condoms alone. Neither of us are ready for anything permanent yet but she's not taking well to the idea of another IUD, even a non-hormonal one.

Victor

I think we may just end up taking our chances with condoms alone. Neither of us are ready for anything permanent yet but she's not taking well to the idea of another IUD, even a non-hormonal one.
I can't say I blame her. The idea of an IUD is a little freaky to me. If your wife is interested, learning to track her cycle will give her a better idea as to her fertile days, in case you all want to abstain during that time as an added precaution.