Custody

Alex

My ex and I have come to a agreement on how we want to split the time with our kid and now I am not sure how to proceed. My case worker hasn't called me back and it has been almost a week. Anyone else come to agreement outside of court? Could we just write it up and sign it and have them put it together as a court document, without involving lawyers and court fees?

Paul40

I'm not sure about that. I mean how much do you trust your ex-wife? If nothing is written or signed by the courts can't either of you pretty much do anything? I would be leery.

Dave

I just went through this with my ex wife. We just wrote up a document on the computer and both signed it. Then I sent it to the court and they drew up the papers and sent us certified documents that all was changed to how we discussed. IF you can get her to sign it send it! It is a great cheap alternative if you can agree outside of court.

richard42

That's what me an my ex did. We wrote it up, took it to a judge who asked a few questions, and then signed it as an official court order. No lawyers involved at all.

Johnny

I would talk to a lawyer or something to be sure. I think if you do something outside the court, you will have to have it notarized or something like that. This way, it's legally binding. Trust me, it's worth it in case she changes her mind later.