Cut-off for having kids . . .

Niceness8000

I'm 41 years old with one child. I want one more. We will start trying shortly. i would actually like to have two more, but I feel that I am at the point where I don't want to be so much older than my children that I don't see them grow up and have families of their own. I feel like I'm towing that line right now. If I had started sooner, I could easily see myself with three kids.

youngone

The age you decide to have children is a tricky one. Too early and you will miss out on your youth but there is the bonus of being a young Dad. Men in their 30's and 40's are more likely to be mature and secure, but they will be old when their children are growing up. I suppose health also needs to be considered because you can be 40 yet still healthy and fit.

Miller

I would rather err on the side of having a child earlier than I'd planned than on waiting too long to have a child that never came. I know too many people who had fertility issues in their 40s.

tommymac

If you're too old to chase them, you're probably too old to have them.

Males can have children well into their elderly years so long as they have a young enough partner. I believe Tony Randall had a kid in his 70's.

Victor Leigh

I always believe in having children early. It's kind of like something that has to be done. Then when all the children have grown up, it's my own time. I don't owe anyone a living anymore. What I do with my time is my own business.

erin

I'm 41 years old with one child. I want one more. We will start trying shortly. i would actually like to have two more, but I feel that I am at the point where I don't want to be so much older than my children that I don't see them grow up and have families of their own. I feel like I'm towing that line right now. If I had started sooner, I could easily see myself with three kids.
There's not much difference between 41 and 43 as long as your wife is willing. I don't see why you can't have two more kids.

Niceness8000

I am fit for my age. I guess I just would like to see my grandchildren graduate college. This is my only regret. It is true that I am much more mature and of the mind to accept responsibility, but I already feel like I need more time.

polamalu43

You stop having them when you know the time is right. Its that simple. I don't think 43 is too late at all. If you and your wife want 2 more - go for it. You might get lucky and have twins!

youngone

You would also need to consult your doctor to determine whether there might be an increased risk of complications at your age. I do believe it shouldn't increase the risk of abnormalities if you are healthy but I might be wrong...

Victor Leigh

As for complications, it's not exactly an open-and-shut case. I remember reading a report about how people who have children later in life would produce children with problems. Then, not much later, I read another report which says people who have children later would produce smarter children.

Niceness8000

Just to clarify: there's nothing physically wrong with me. My wife is ten years younger than I am, and there's nothing physically wrong with her either. The reason I pose the question is not in regards to the birth of children, it's in regards to how long I will be around to watch them grow up. 40 is approaching the age where you start to wonder about questions like these. 50, 60, 70, I just think that it's too late in age to be able to watch your kids become whatever they will become. It was more of a philosophical question than one pertaining to my health.

tommymac

Children who are conceived by sperm from men over 40 tend to have a higher risk of autism. Of course, men can have viable sperm well into their elderly years.