Diapers and kitchen tongs

Regis

There's a new show coming out about yet another guy who finds a baby on his doorstep. Of course it had the usual shot of him holding a diaper with kitchen tongs. Ho-hum.

Men--do not try this at home. Chances are you'll end up with crap running down your arm.:D

polamalu43

Ha! So true! I wonder why they try to make men look like light weights in these shows. Everyone knows you are supposed to put on your hip boots and big plastic gloves before changing a diaper.

Timothy

I don't understand why the media still portrays guys like we don't have enough sense to know how to change a diaper! I mean, really! I had never changed a diaper IN MY LIFE before my child was born but it NEVER occurred to me to run into the kitchen and reach for the tongs!

Victor

Fathers are generally portrayed as bumbling idiots in media and it is infuriating. It's a way to reinforce stereotypical gender roles: the husband as provider and wife as domestic queen.

polamalu43

It's just the way it is guys. It is better than it once was. There are so many stay at home dads now and that is great. I just laugh when I see these ads.

Miller

My sister used to talk about washing my cloth diapers when I was a baby. She was 12 years old when I was born. She emptied diapers out into the toilet bowl and occasionally let those she didn't want to clean go down "accidentally." She still tells those stories.

HappyDad

I really get ticked off at how the media portray men as fathers. If shows did this with women there's be such and uproar that the show would never make it off the ground. Why the double standards?

Bear

I had never changed a diaper or held a baby until I held and changed my daughter. I think it is kind of discriminatory for the media to always portray men as bumbling idiots when it comes to dealing with babies.

Victor

I really get ticked off at how the media portray men as fathers. If shows did this with women there's be such and uproar that the show would never make it off the ground. Why the double standards?
Women have their own battles to fight in media portrayal. Sure, they look really competent domestically, but that's where you see them most of the time. Most cleaning commercials have women in them, doing the cleaning. I think the media has a long way to come to represent both genders as people, not tired stereotypes.

Andersson

That sounds like something a new parent would do, even a random person who has never seen a child before. I know when I first changed my own it took quite sometime before I was good at it, I never used tongs though.

Regis

You forget shows like 'I Love Lucy' that showed women as idiots. I guess this trend is to balance out the women in the workplace shows.

I did love Lucy though!

Enrique

Women have their own battles to fight in media portrayal. Sure, they look really competent domestically, but that's where you see them most of the time. Most cleaning commercials have women in them, doing the cleaning. I think the media has a long way to come to represent both genders as people, not tired stereotypes.
Good point, Victor. You would think these media people would know better since they have access to different kinds of people to interview and topics to research on. I'm sure they're aware how women and men's roles have dramatically intertwined over the years. Oh well, old habits die hard as they say. Whether we like it or not, there will always be some sort of stereotyping.

Regis

Saw another ad for the same show. Diapers done with duct tape. Geesh! I think some of these 30 minute comedies, especially on the low-end cable networks, are thrown together by ideas from the trashcan.

Victor Leigh

Come now, isn't that supposed to be a comedy show? So take it for what it is. Yes, it's ridiculous but that what makes people laugh most of the time. Maybe it doesn't tickle your funny bone but then again, not everyone is expected to react the same way.

Maybe for a change, they should do a reality show about how fathers actually handle diapers. Or maybe have a diaper changing contest. What do you think?

writer811

I always thought that using tongs seemed to be a bit unsafe (Maybe it's just the idea of using a cold, unfeeling object on a helpless baby). I personally prefer to use latex gloves (double wrapped if needed) though I would advise any new dads to make sure your kid isn't allergic to latex before doing that.

Victor

You use latex gloves to change diapers? Wow. You do know that you can just wash your hands, right? ;) Putting gloves on seems like a pain.

JRDeep

First few times I changed a diaper, I couldn't find the tongs to save my life. I wasn't actively looking for them mind you, but I didn't notice any around.I was 7, and was helping my older brother babysit for his friend.

writer811

You use latex gloves to change diapers? Wow. You do know that you can just wash your hands, right? ;) Putting gloves on seems like a pain.
Sometimes it is! But no, I prefer to use the gloves because sometimes I make a mess if the type of feces I'm dealing with aren't quite solid.

joeldgreat

Whether we like it or not, some people unconsciously portraying the "stereotype mentality" that men hates to do these things. The old mentality that men supposedly should not do baby stuff's are still portrayed in sitcoms and movies.

For the sake of laughter, I would laugh at it.

Victor Leigh

Sometimes it is! But no, I prefer to use the gloves because sometimes I make a mess if the type of feces I'm dealing with aren't quite solid.
A child's feces is not really a big mess. It's more or less re-engineered milk. Alright, re-engineered sour milk that smells a bit. Nothing that some soap and lots of clean water cannot get rid of.