Do you swear in front of your kids?

tcooll77

And is there a certain age you think its more acceptable to? If you tend to swear occasionally do you censor yourself or do you feel it's just a word and no big deal?

Papa Bear

As much as possible, I don't swear or use "dirty words" in front of the children, and I don't want to hear it from them either.

Andy

I am horrible at the slip ups. I try not to swear in front of them, but it is a habit. My kids usually end up yelling at me about it.

newb2diaps

I think there is a difference between curse words and then the really bad ones and this is something I am going to need to work on sooner rather than later. I have a feeling some words will always slip but its hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Glenn

I'm bad about this. I'm just hoping I'll be able to get myself in check before my daughter actually utters one of the naughties. I really need to work on this because, as we all know, once a toddler discovers a new word, it becomes their new favorite word for a while.

PappaQ

I work really hard at not swearing in front of my kids. Occasionally, I'll think I'm alone and let a word slip out and, ta-duh, surprise, one of the kids is nearby.

CubFanJack

I'm guilty of the occassional slip, but I have really learned to censor myself. My son is thankfully out of the stage of copying my wife or me when we do have a slip.

Verny

I can control my language when I'm infront of the kids. I know that being a parent means that I should be a good role model. I made a promise to myself that I would try my best to be the role model of my children. This makes me careful on the words that I utter when I'm with them. Practice will surely help with this problem.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I try my best not to swear in front of any kids. I however have a tendency to slip up now and again.

MatthewR

I try my best to not swear in front of them! Sometimes it just slips out! Like when I bang my head or hit my hand with a hammer! Then I swear! I try not to though. They always tell me to knock it off....

frank101

As a Father, I would try not swear about anything in front of my daughter. Sometimes it does happen, I would say the "F" word and I wouldn't realize it and my daughter would look at me and say "Daddy that's a dirty word." I would look in her sweet face and say "I am sorry baby girl, Daddy was just mad." So yes, it does happen to even the good people in the world and it is your decision if you choose to swear in front of your child/children.

Josephmorisson

I'm always careful in this matter. I really tried my best not to say bad words in front of my kids. If there's misunderstanding between me and my wife, we privately talk about it inside our room. I don't want my kids to hear nasty words from us.

Adam

I try as hard as I can to not swear in front of my daughter. You know, I don't want her going around telling her friends that her daddy is a "potty mouth".

BigJohn

I am, like many of the other posters here, I slip up on occasion. But, I have gotten better at using more G rated words as substitutions. We learned really early that our son picks up those word pretty quickly.:rolleyes:

Caleb

I like that- better G rated words. I try not to swear also but like many it slips. I am getting better too. I try not to swear anywhere, not just not in front of my kids. It's good to teach our kids that it isn't right to swear!

Kevin

I grew up in a household where cursing was an everyday occurence. I didn't even realize how bad I was until my mid twenties. Luckily, I didn't have my kids until later in life, so I intentionally don't do that to them. I try not be too judgemental on people that have the occasional slip, as it does happen to the best of us.