Does expecting the second one get easier?

Niceness8000

For days with more than one child, does the expectation get easier, as far as the things you worry about? As a new dad, I think we worry about everything. It seems that once you get into a comfort zone with your first child, that having a second one is not as scary. I'm not talking about financial matters, and of course you will worry that the child is healthy. But does the rest of the worry go down some?

Lorenzo

The worry was still there with my second up to my third child (we have two other adopted kids). Worry, in the sense, that there might be complications with the baby or if he/she is developing well. Although my wife followed all her doctor's orders - eating and sleeping right, taking milk and medications - we had to be prepared for anything. What we weren't worried about was taking care of the baby after he/she was born. We had a lot of practice in that area :)

Victor Leigh

I worry about every single child that I had. No two deliveries are the same. Fortunately all my children were born well. Then I worry about bringing them up properly.

Niceness8000

Yes, what you are all saying is what I suspected. I guess as a new parent, you worry because you just don't have the experience. When you get the experience, you can breath a little easier if you feel you have a better understanding of what you are doing. I know the act of giving birth is worrisome, and I didn't mean that part of it. I really meant the idea of being responsible for a person who comes into the world helpless. I am more confident now that I am capable of handling that.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I would love to say it got easier for me, but truth is it hasn't. While I may not have gone to as many checkups this time around, all the same fears are there. Problems during pregnancy, birth defects, or other problems.

Foster

Yes, the things I worried about with my first had gone when it came to my second and third. The big one for me and I assume most dads is 'Will I be a good dad?' once you have your first child and you're doing well then you know if you're a good dad and don't need to worry.

youngone

I think you will worry less when having your second child because you have experience and you know what to expect. When having your first child you don't know what to expect, it is fear of the unknown.

Victor

I worried more with my second child than I expected to. It's true that I was (and am) more confident in my ability to take care of a baby, but I still thought about miscarriages, defects, and other issues.

Andersson

You just learn to expect something else, that is what happened with us. First time around was an easy cake walk but the second one took us by storm.

youngone

You just learn to expect something else, that is what happened with us. First time around was an easy cake walk but the second one took us by storm.
Usually it's the other way around. The first is a big shock to the system because it is unknown territory, the second is easier because you have experience and you know what you can expect.

Miller

I worry about everything, and about each child in all sorts of ways. Worrying solves nothing, but it's impossible not to be. My wife and I are cautious to a fault.

joeldgreat

Yes, there will be less worry when it comes to the second child. Simply because I already earned the experience during the first one. Though the tension is still there, it is not as tense as the first one. The only problem that comes to it is always the money. Making a new budget for the second child.