Does Your Wife Or Significant Other Ever Deride You For Being A Stay-At-Home Dad?

writer811

I was just curious if anyone here has a wife or partner who looks down on you for staying at home and taking care of the children and doing housework while they go to a job? If you'd like, you can vent about it here.

HappyDad

That would be a horrible relationship if that were to happen. Usually couples talk about whether or not one person should stay at home so hopefully concerns are addressed ahead of time.

Waynefire

I know my wife does not like the fact that I work from home. She was mowing the lawn the other day and started complaining about me sitting on my butt and not doing anything because I was making us some money on the computer.

Geonarlie

I used to be a stay at home Dad but now I work and so does my wife. When I was a stay at home Dad my wife was fairly content but sometimes she would go off on me for no apparent reason and it used to make me pretty angry. I just let it go and I'm glad I now have a job.

Victor

If my wife derided me for staying at home, we would be having some serious problems. I am doing this for the family and I contribute quite a bit, thanks. Fortunately, she recognizes the value in what I'm doing.

Bear

I am not really working from home, I am studying from home, but my wife does work from home so this is not a problem for us. I don't think it matters where or how you work if you are contributing to the family.

Enrique

I got a job a few months back, and before that I was a stay-at-home dad while my wife works outside of the home. Thankfully, my wife never belittled me for choosing to stay home with the kids instead of finding a "real" job. She could see the improvement in the kids' behavior and their grades in school. She was more than happy I was there to make it happen.

writer811

I'm glad to hear that nobody has any significant problems (Not that I'm downplaying any problems that there are. I just mean I'm glad there are no relationship-ending scale problems) and I agree, it's not that big of a deal. Working at home is still working and sometimes people don't understand that.

taskeinc

If your wife gives you a hard time about working from home, or being a stay-at-home dad, it's a strong possibility that the two of you are not going to be married 1-3 years from now. That's the ultimate sign of disrespect and if it continues, you may as well start interviewing qualified divorce lawyers.

I know from experience that regardless of what the situation may be, if a married couple are not on the same page and do not mutually respect one another in all areas, stick a fork in the marriage, because it's DONE!

Niceness8000

I work from home, so I guess it's not exactly what you mean. I only know of one woman who worked while the husband stayed home. At least outwardly, it didn't seem like there were any problems. Obviously I didn't live there, so I don't really know.

R. Paradon

As long as food is being put on the table and the bills are being paid it should not matter where a man makes his money. The only problem I can envision is seeing too much of each other. That may sound sad but we all need some free time to be by ourselves.

Jatelo2

I want to tell you that these scenarios are very rampant. With all due respect to women, most of them have tendencies to look down upon the male who earn less or jobless!

Last edited:

youngone

I would not tolerate it if she did. Your partner should respect your role because it is an important one. If my girlfriend started to ridicule me for staying at home I would tell her to stop and I would end the relationship if she didn't.