Dog has anxiety problems

Timothy

We have two dogs, one of which seems to have anxiety problems. Take the last month, for instance: We've been working on the house, repainting, pulling carpet out and putting hard floor down, etc. As a result, the house has been in disarray for several weeks now. The older dog has just taken it all in stride but the younger dog paces and refuses to lay down. This can go on for HOURS! What can we do to help him relax and cope until we put the house back together again?

Sinbian

As far as I know dogs are mimicking their owner's behavior in most cases. But that may not be the case with you dog. They are like kids, neglect them, and they will probably go bananas on their own.

Karter

Maybe the dog thinks something is going on? Dogs don't like change and react differently to it. My previous dog was like that, especially the older she got. I remember painting the room and redoing the floor where she usually lay at night. She must have thought we were taking it away because she would whine and walk around looking lost.

Timothy

We don't neglect either of our dogs, nor is anyone in the house high-strung, so I don't think that's what it is, Sinbian. Karter, that sounds similar to our dog. He didn't whine but he would pace for hours on end, looking like a lost little puppy the whole time. It's gotten a bit better since the house has been put back together, but you can tell he still has issues relaxing.

Andersson

I only know one person who has a pet that needs medicine like this, and it is a cat. To me the cat seems quite normal. Hopefully this is short term due to the lack of attention you can give right now.

CHenne

How is your dog doing now? I bet he was just stressed out because of all of the remodeling. I don't know anyone who has pets that are on meds.

Timothy

He's doing a good bit better, Chenne; thanks for asking. He's gotten a lot better about pacing, although he had some issues yesterday while we were opening presents. We've bought several area rugs to put into each room, too, and he seems to have an easier time relaxing now. He doesn't seem to like the hardwood very much, ha!