Encouraging Outdoor Play

Chrisitan

We have a rule that, barring extremely bad weather, we all go outside for at least a 30 minute time period. Now if it's extremely cold, hot or we are having falling weather, we don't go. Honestly, I wanted my child to learn how to play outside. I have watched a lot of my friend's children being told to go play outside and they have no clue what to do when they get out there. I don't want that for my kids. I want them to have the joy of outdoor play that I had when I was growing up. Thus our rule. So, do you encourage outdoor play?

On The Mark

By all means. My daughter is into softball, it's that time of year right now and so we don't have problems getting her outside. She loves to play and she loves to practice.

Chrisitan

I have found that if I am out there with the kids playing, they will stay as long as I do. When I go in however, they decide they want to go in. I would like to find something for them to do that will keep them interested and outside. I'm still working on it.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
My two year old throws a fit if we try and bring him inside. He is always wanting to be outside, cold, rain or heat. We do have to get him inside or he will over heat though.

Victor

Mine like to go outside, but usually after 30-60 minutes, they are ready to come in. We just bought them a kiddie pool though, so once we get an air compressor to blow it up, we'll probably be out there a lot more.

John

We do lots of outdoor things in the spring and summer. We practically live on the boats in the summer. It's harder to do in the winter, but we do get out a little each day if it's just for a walk.

Andersson

Most of the time when our kids were younger we would head out with them. We did take a year or two break when my wife was under the weather but once that cleared up we were back out and at it again. I never understand why parents think that kids should be indoors 24/7.

John

I find it's hard to keep my kids inside, even though they do play video games. If the weather is good, they're more apt to be outside than indoors. There's always something going on in the neighborhood.

BestDaddyEver

I think playing outside and enjoying the weather is important. It is also good exercise. Kids can usually always find something to do outside. But I always go with my daughter.

Karter

Fresh air is great for kids, the sun in moderation gives them vitamin D which is important and running around gives them much needed exercise. This is especially true if they are in school all day. I spent most of my childhood outside, except in stormy weather. My parents only saw me at dinner or bed time.