Extra Swim Lessons

Victor

My daughter just completed a course of swim lessons. At her age, it's more about learning skills and safety in the water as opposed to unsupported swimming, but I think it's been really good for her. We signed her up for another two weeks to continue practicing and learn a few new skills.

olderthandirt

How old is your daughter? My girls all know how to swim, but there weren't any classes available nearby when they were younger, so I taught them myself. Living near the ocean like we do, I felt knowing how to swim to be an important safety issue.

Victor

She is 3.5 years old. We live near the ocean too, as well as a large river, so between that and many people having swimming pools, there is a great deal of water around. Like you, I feel they need to know for safety reasons.

Salazar

My wife used to be a certified swim instructor, so she has been working with our daughter about the basics and water safety. I think it's great that my wife has the skills to teach her, but getting our daughter to listen to Mom has been a struggle.

Andersson

Learning to swim for the little ones is always a good thing, keep supporting them and who knows you might have an Olympic athlete on your hands one day. I still enjoy swimming at my age and it is by far my favorite thing to do. My mother always called me a "water baby", seems like you have one on your hands too!

Timeless

I taught both my children how to swim and to this day my son does not like swimming. I tried putting him in lessons but he didn't want a stranger teaching him. I was a water baby and you couldn't get me out of the lake when I was younger. My daughter is the same way. My father had a fear of water and avoided it if possible. I wonder if my son inherited this fear?