Feeling like the court is one sided

Salazar

I know they say that men have more rights now than ever before, but sometimes when I go to court it just doesn't feel that way. Being in a small southern town, I feel like our judges are still 30 years behind the times and it's still all about the woman. It can be very frustrating.

Unclerob

That just stinks! I know what you mean... I have a buddy who is fighting for custody of his son. His ex-wife is never home and she ships him off to her parents, but the court still lets her have custody. It's just beyond me.

Tyler

I am also from a small town and feel the same way. I do not think that it should always be the mother that wins custody and takes the children. I am very fortunate to have half custody with my son right now.

Jeff

I completely understand the friend of the court is no friend of mine. My case worker is never available and when she is she doesn't like to talk to me.

Kyron

I hear you there. They say there is no prejudice now as to who gets custody of the child but as far as I can see it's still predominately the woman who gets the child. The only ones I've seen who don't get the child have been proven incompetent due either to drugs or alcohol.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
Courts side with the female a lot when it comes to children. Sadly I've seen bad mothers get child custody over a good father. One of my friends in fact is going back to court because his ex has been neglecting their daughter, along with doing illegal substances with her in the house. Sometimes courts are blind.

Salazar

Yea, I have a buddy in the same boat, Jason. It's really frustrating when the mother is negligent and the court still takes her side.

In my case, my ex has been technically in contempt more times than I can count for keeping the kids from me, not letting them call on designated nights, not keeping me informed about medical and educational issues, etc. What does the court do? They politely tell her not to do it again. If I did stuff like that, they'd lock me up.

Seven

I agree. I don't know what they're basing their information on when they say we're getting more rights, but I'm not seeing it either. Baby steps I guess.

richard42

Agreed

I agree with you completely. Even when the soon to be ex and me actually can decide on something regarding visitation or finances it seems like the judge still wants to over-rule us and give the ex more of both ! It's like he doesn't even listen to what we've already agreed on.

forgotten

It seems that the judges have no paternal instincts or should I say the lawmakers have no paternal instincts? They'd rather dump the child on the mother, no matter what they are.

Zimmer

Courts go by the logic that a female will have a nurturing presence on the child. Unfortunately do to the heavy case load they shift through , they rarely give on particular case much thought, kind of disillusioning seeing how there are lives at stake here.