"Filtering" The News

On The Mark

How do the rest of you do this? For example, the other day my daughter and I were watching the news when the story about those 3 girls in Cleveland came up. I put a positive spin on it by telling her that there are services available to help those women cope with what they've been through. Do you think that's a constructive way of looking at a story like that?

olderthandirt

Yes, that's one topic that could easily be discussed, although I believe I'd have the 'stranger danger' talk, as well. That's a horrific situation that even we, as adults, have a hard time comprehending.

polamalu43

It depends on how old your kids are. One of the girls was only 14! My kids have all watched the story - they are older. I agree that kids need to be taught about "stranger danger". My teen daughter took a self-defense class with my wife. I like to think that she would have a fighting chance if someone tried to snatch her. The thing that gets me the most is that Gina was this monsters daughters friend! Right before this monster took her she was with his daughter. They were trying to talk their moms into letting Gina spend the night. Sick monster! His daughters friend!

On The Mark

I heard that too. About his daughters friend. I've heard about people having no empathy for others, but that's taking it to a whole other level. A sick one because if you don't even care what your own daughter feels or thinks, who do you care about?

John

There is so much on television that everything can't be filtered out entirely. When we trip over things getting to the television quickly enough to turn it off before the bad stuff comes on, it calls even more attention to it. We tend to choose our channels well and then overlook most of it. We don't keep the television on during those extended news coverages.

BigPapa

We don't watch things like the news when my daughter is around. We don't watch a whole lot of TV anyway, but those types of things are saved for school time or bed time. We still talk to our daughter about world events but, there is no reason to have it constantly in her face.

Sinbian

How about not watching the news at all?! I'm seriously thinking about removing TV from our house. We rarely watch it anyway so why not get rid of it completely.

Andersson

It seems if you want real news you have to dig deep, I hate the idea that the truth is covered up but it is a hard and vicious cycle to try and break. I am thankful for the reporters who attempt to push the barriers and report the full truth, no matter how it can backfire on them.