First real roadtrip

Adam

I'm nervous about taking my daughter on our first real roadtrip this summer. We live in Pennsylvania and will be driving to the beach. My wife & I can make it in 6 or 7 hours easily.

However with our daughter we don't know how long it will take. She's been fine with short trips we've taken (1 hour or so), but I'm not sure how she will react to a 6 or 7 hour drive.

Any tips from fellow fathers on how to keep her occupied for so long? She's 18 months old.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I have found DVD's work wonders. Singing songs and toys can also work. If you can plan it early so she may sleep through some of it, or even going over night it could help.

Adam

We were planning to go overnight, I just don't know if I could handle it after a day of work. It may work out in the end though. I'm sure DVDs would work great, but we do not have a portable DVD player.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
The best hope would be that she would fall asleep then I think. My wife took our daughter on a road trip that was about 20 hours away. Her and her sisters-in-laws and mother. The people in the back seat would read to her and try and keep her entertained.

BigJohn

We drove from Chicago to Orlando when my son was 18 months and he did pretty well. We took a couple of long rest stops where he could get out and run around to burn off some energy.

Now, he's 5 and we got alot of, "Are we there yet?" :rolleyes: Enjoy your trip.