Getting Ready in the Morning

Victor

Do you make your kids brush their teeth and hair and get dressed right away in the morning, or do you let them lounge around awhile first? We go back and forth, depending on whether we have somewhere to go.

BigPapa

On the school days, my daughter has to get up and get ready to go right away. If it is the weekend and we don't have anywhere to go then none of us really gets ready right away.

On The Mark

She doesn't give herself time to lounge around. She'll wait 'till the last minute to get up and going, but she takes her shower and all that the night before. All that's left there is the teeth and beauty products in the morning.

polamalu43

They brush their teeth as soon as they get up. They are like me and hate the feeling of a dirty mouth. On school days they have to shower and get ready. On the weekends, I don't care what they do (unless we have plans).

olderthandirt

On school mornings, we have a schedule. Each one is allowed 15 minutes in the bathroom, uninterrupted. With only one bathroom, I had to get strict with it as they'll fight like cats and dogs if not. On the weekends, I don't worry about as they rarely wake up at the same time.

John

We're usually rushing around, no matter how much time we give ourselves. I would love to be able to head out the door fifteen minutes before we actually have to. That's not going to happen in this family, I'm afraid.

Timothy

Our son isn't old enough for school yet, but we are trying to instill good hygiene habits from the get-go, so we still have him brush his hair as soon as he gets up and brush his teeth right after breakfast.

Anyone else have issues with their kid(s) wanting to eat the toothpaste???

Andersson

I was always the Drill Sargent during the school days since I woke up first before everyone else (about an hour early). If breakfast was eaten at home they came down to eat, went back up to get changed (avoid those messes in the morning and change twice), brush teeth and out the door. This all happened within 20-25 minutes so there was no down time and I made sure to bark the orders. I would say the kids had about a 90% perfect attended other than a few random sick days when they were older and family time (for funerals and the such).

Alfy

One gets up and gets ready right away. Washes her face, brushes her teeth and gets dressed before wolfing down her breakfast. The other one takes 10 minutes to wake up, eats and then gets ready.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
The older two have school so it is a rush to get them going. The weekends is a different story and they can sort of lounge around a bit.

Timeless

It's a rush in the morning with school. They want to sleep as long as possible so they shower at night and get up to eat and brush their teeth, then off to the bus.

Bear

I am so glad that my kids aren't in school yet! I already dread the day we have to get everyone up and out of the door on time.

BestDaddyEver

It depends on the day. For school, yes, I have my daughter get ready right away. If it is on a day where we are not going anywhere, I let her lounge around. She doesn't even have to comb through her hair on the days we don't go anywhere if she doesn't want to. She does, however, always have to brush her teeth. (;

SingleDadNow

I have found that they need less nagging if I make it into a little bit of a game. I set a silly alarm on my phone, so when they hear it they know that they really need to move it. There is a second alarm set to go off 10 minutes later. If we beat that alarm to the car, we cheer and there are high-fives all around. It is silly, but it is working.