Giving an allowance

DeputyDad

Do you give your kids an allowance? My daughters get a few bucks for helping out around the house. There is an understanding that they are required to help because they are part of the family and not just because they want money. There isn't really a set amount. It's merit based and depends on the household finances and other things like their grades and behavior too.

Timeless

No we never gave our children allowances. If they needed money for something we would give it to them, within reason. Both of our children had part time jobs fairly early in their childhood. They worked helping their grandmother at her market, something they enjoyed doing, so she would pay them for their time. It was a wonderful opportunity for them to learn what it is like working for your money.

Bear

My kids are too young for an allowance just yet, but I don't know if we will give them one as they get older or not.

Sinbian

We don't give allowance but we give them money when they ask for it. Of course, as Timeless said, they need to justify the reason. Teaching them to be responsible is very important to us.

DeputyDad

Since they have certain "jobs" they need to do around the house, and also keep up their grades, I consider an allowance a good way to teach them to be responsible. They've begun to learn the value of earning and spending.

Andersson

We have always rewarded extra chores around the house with money but not much and it really depends on the chore. Common things like picking up after themselves or keeping their room clean did not count.

BestDaddyEver

My kid isn't old enough yet, but when she is I have decided that I will give her $10-15 a week. That is, if she helps with household chores such as washing dishes and vacuuming. Of course, I will give her more money when she needs it, within reason because $10-15 a week won't go very far.