Grilling season!!

Glenn

I am so psyched! I grilled for the first time this season the other night and, mhmm, it was good. How often do you grill in the summer? I guess I average about 2 nights a week. If my work schedule permitted, I'd be happy to do it every night.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I usually am a weekend griller. But now that I am home full time, I may do some week day. I do more BBQing though then grilling. So it takes a while. Usually if I start around 7 am, it will be done for dinner depending on the size of meat. But all the work is well worth it.

Verny

Wow, 7 am to dinner is a long time. Do you marinate the meat before you grill them? Is this the reason why you need that amount of time to cook it?

I am also a weekend griller. I marinate the meat the night before I grill it so that the flavor of the sauce will stick well with the meat.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
It will depend on what I am cooking, and how. I like to BBQ, which is low and slow. The temperature is usually around 200 degrees, which is why it takes it so long. But boy, does it taste soooo good. The meat will fall off the bone.

Some of the meat I use a dry rub, some I marinate and poultry I usually use a brine.

I love Alton Brown's turkey brine, but I had some honey to it:
For the brine:
1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 gallon vegetable stock
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 1/2 teaspoons allspice berries
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped candied ginger
1 gallon heavily iced water

I soak a turkey in that over night and rinse and dry and smoke it on the smoker/grill.

Ribs and pork I will usually use a rub. Again modifying Alton Brown's:
Rub:
1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
1 teaspoon whole fennel seed
1 teaspoon whole coriander
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon paprika

He also has a pork brine:
Brine:
8 ounces or 3/4 cup molasses
12 ounces pickling salt
2 quarts bottled water

If I use both brine and rub, I usually brine the meat the day before, rinse/dry and put the rub on and let it sit over night. You want to put a good coating of rub on and the flavors will soak in.

I make beef jerky, we are usually not a read meat family usually, but I do some smoked corn beef and jerky. The jerky I will often use a store bought marinade. Lowery's Tequila Lime marinade tastes great.