Health and pregnancy

Pascallist

It is a hypothetical situation for me but can be a real one for other expectant parents. If you wife really wanted a baby but the doctor didn't recommend it due to health reasons, what would you do?

bighelp

You can always adopt if it becomes an issue of the mothers life in danger. My sister is thinking about this now as she has lupus (with that, being pregnant could kill her), so I totally understand the question. A surrogate would work too.

wilson

I would find another way to have a baby if you both really want one. While I am sure most can understand the want of having their own baby, if its something that is dangerous it should not be attempted, at least not on this scale. What happens if the baby survives delivery but the mother does not?

SoontoBe

This situation sounds like the one in the movie, "Steel Magnolias." The girl in that movie, played by Julia Roberts ends up dying because of some illness she had at one point. I don't even want to think about this since my wife is pregnant now.

James

It is a hypothetical situation for me but can be a real one for other expectant parents. If you wife really wanted a baby but the doctor didn't recommend it due to health reasons, what would you do?
First, I would inquire as to how serious the health risks are. If it's a matter of life and death, I would recommend adoption. Surrogacy is another option, but for some reason I imagine surrogacy is not as cut and dried as one woman simply carrying a child for another, so I don't think I'd choose such a potentially complicated route. If it's not a matter of life and death, I would weigh the options. Are the potential risks greater than the reward?

Kost

Yea I think I would want to know what the exact health reasons are too, some are actually quite minor. I would still take it under heavy consideration I mean kids are great but sometimes its just not meant to be. Plus there are other options like foster or adopting.

Paul1960

I'd get a second opinion first. If two different doctors both agreed that pregnancy was a risky undertaking, I'd try talking to my wife about adopting. There are so many kids out there that need good homes and it's really sad how many of them have to grow up in Orphanages.

Howard

I think it would depend on the type of health condition involved. If there was no doubt that the mother's life could be in jeopardy, then there is no way I would agree to it.

Jonathan

I would try to talk to my wife about it. I would love to have a baby but it wouldn't be worth it if I would have to lose her because of that.