Holiday Split unfair

Jeff

My brother is going through a divorce right now. He just got papers saying that he will have his children Christmas eve. Now the mother will have the children both Thanksgiving and Christmas. He doesn't think it is fair that she should have the children on both of the largest holidays they celebrate with family, so the family won't get to see the kids every other year. How do other divorced parents do this?

Dave

You can change that if you both agree on it. What we do is have the person that has the child on Thanksgiving have them on Christmas Eve then the other parent gets Christmas day so that it is a little better and still fair.

Salazar

I think you just have to take the good years with the bad. Unless the parents are amicable to change things to make it more fair. If your family doesn't typically get together on Christmas Eve, you might want to consider changing that for the years that he has the kids that night. Divorce is just such a screwed up thing and it never works out fair for everybody all of the time.

CHenne

I think if he wants to change this then he has to go to court (if it is already in the agreement). Perhaps he can celebrate with his kids and his family on Christmas Eve. It does sound unfair though.

robertc

The way me and my ex do it is to split the Christmas and Thanksgiving holidays equally. That is, equal time for each of us with our children on each holiday. The scheduling can be difficult, but it's better than that every other holiday arrangement.