How Much Do You Spend on Gifts?

Timeless

With Christmas only weeks away I'm trying to figure out how much I will be spending on gifts this year. Most of the time we go overboard and regret it afterwards. Their friends get these ridiculously extravagant gifts every year and I'm not spending that much on presents. I've told them not to expect huge presents. This year is extra tight money-wise. How much do you budget for each child at Christmas?

Victor

I don't really have a set amount of money for the kids, but we are reducing the number of gifts this year. I would estimate we probably spent about $100 for each (we have two). Extended family members usually get $15-25 gifts.

Sinbian

I'm spending very little this year because we are in a situation that we cannot afford a big budget for this. I love buying gifts so this is very hard for me.

polamalu43

We tend to buy gifts throughout the year. I hate it when we have to buy a lot right before Christmas. Our budget just doesn't work that way. I don't have a set limit that I spend on each child. It really changes each year - gifts get more expensive as the kids get older.

Bear

We will be having a very meager Christmas this year due to very tight financial circumstances. We always try to do something nice for ourselves and the kids when the income taxes come back though.

BigPapa

We usually get one gift that would be considered "big". After that, we might buy a handful of small ones. We try not to focus so much on the present part though.

Karter

We do the same, BigPapa. The kids give us ideas plus one big gift. As long as it doesn't cost too much. This year is tight, money wise, so there will be smaller gifts under the tree. I'm glad to see we aren't the only ones trying to make ends meet on a tight budget.

BestDaddyEver

Well, I only have one kid and I am only celebrating Christmas with my daughter and my wife this year. I spent just a little over $100 on my daughter's Christmas gifts this year. I generally try not to go over $100.